When did the AF change over from the large command patches?

hzamar

Hello All,

I've always wondered when the USAF changed over from the large size command patches that I usually see worn on the right chest pocket of OG-107 fatigues and such and went to the smaller size command patches. They were both color patches. Also, some of the large size ones, like Tactical Air Command, are partially embroidered and partially the twill base on the larger ones but I think I've only seen fully embroidered small patches.

I was wondering if anyone knew when the switch over took place?

Thanks,
Herb

Posting for a fellow member:

Re time frame for use of the 3” USAF major command patches, in December 1969 we were ordered to remove our 510th missile squadron patches from our crew blue uniform pockets and replace them with 3” SAC patches. It was a disgusting day for the members of the 315st SMW at Whiteman AFB, MO! It wasn’t it until at least 10 years later that sanity returned and those ridiculous 3” SAC patches were removed for squadron patches once again. Steve Johnson

I agree with Randy and Teamski, the smaller MAJCOM patches appear in the early 1970s. SOAs, like AFCS, tended to keep their larger patches until the USAF went to ordering all suddued insignia on fatigues. I know this because this is exactly what my dad did (USAF CMSGT 1952-81). Many of his old vet compatriots did the same thing.

I too concur. We had a MSgt at Macdill who wore a big TAC patch until subdued were mandatory, 1 Jan 81. I went to Eielson after that, and throughout 1981, the large, colored, AFCS patch was on the rack at clothing sales. For some reason, they stocked every MAJCOM patch in color except, of all things, Alaskan Air Command. You could buy an Air Force Southern Command patch, but not an AAC which, of course, was who we belonged to.

I too concur. We had a MSgt at Macdill who wore a big TAC patch until subdued were mandatory, 1 Jan 81. I went to Eielson after that, and throughout 1981, the large, colored, AFCS patch was on the rack at clothing sales. For some reason, they stocked every MAJCOM patch in color except, of all things, Alaskan Air Command. You could buy an Air Force Southern Command patch, but not an AAC which, of course, was who we belonged to.

Well at least one thing has never changed in the USAF: military clothing sales never has what you need. Drove me nuts while I was in and it is still the same way. Now if we worked that way on the flightline we would have been shedding stripes faster than ice melting on the flight line at Al Udeid.

-Ski

Posting for member

Let's "review the bidding" on this thread. The original question posted was NOT how long did the USAF continue to wear the large MAJCOM patches. It was when did the USAF originally START wearing the small, 3" MAJCOM patches. The earliest confirmed date thus far presented was December, 1969. I know that date is accurate because that was when I was ordered to remove my squadron patch and replace it with the 3" SAC patch. Could some other command have worn the 3" patches before SAC? Possible. Could some other SAC unit change to the 3" patches before December, 1969? Again, possible. As we used to tell students taking military tests, RTFQ! In this case, do the same. The last few posts were answering a question that was not asked! Steve Johnson

Posting for member

Let's "review the bidding" on this thread. The original question posted was NOT how long did the USAF continue to wear the large MAJCOM patches. It was when did the USAF originally START wearing the small, 3" MAJCOM patches. The earliest confirmed date thus far presented was December, 1969. I know that date is accurate because that was when I was ordered to remove my squadron patch and replace it with the 3" SAC patch. Could some other command have worn the 3" patches before SAC? Possible. Could some other SAC unit change to the 3" patches before December, 1969? Again, possible. As we used to tell students taking military tests, RTFQ! In this case, do the same. The last few posts were answering a question that was not asked! Steve Johnson

True; but so now everyone should not expand on something they have knowledge on and others may find enlightening? No one said your date wasn't accurate, but there was other information related to the OP that was posted later. I just don't see the harm if it's related to the OP. That's the whole reason this site exists, or it would just be an art gallery. Not trying to stir things up; I for one am always appreciative of knowledge I can learn here, even thru anecdotal stories.

Randy