Mil-K-818 Knife Day

doyler

Came across a collection of these

Picked out a couple of the nicer ones and maker variations.Seller had 25 of them and more he didn't bring.

post-342-0-36110800-1517704910_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-36110800-1517704910_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-14811500-1517705050_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-81206500-1517705011_thumb.jpg

What a great find! a '62... huh.

Marv

Surprised me too.

He took my number(wouldn't give me his).Has more but not sure what dates.

I saw others and recall a 59,68,70,65,64,72,75,81,etc.

He also had a couple WW2 USMC marked but was asking a lot for them and they were a bit beat.

Thanks for all the comments.

Haven't found much out on the Western made knives. Curious if they were commercially produced but have the US stamp on side .

It's a commercial offering made by Camillus after they obtained the Western brand in 1991. According to Michael Wiedemann they were produced in 1995 and 96. During that same general time frame Camillus also produced 818's that had branches of service marked on the scales instead of US. U.S.M.C. were the most common and the longest produced, but USN and USAF were also made for a time during the 90's also. While these are recognized as commercial offering that still makes them fair game for purchase by organizations like AAFES. So if someone shows you a knife that they tell you they or a relative got in the service it may not be exactly wrong.

• 1 month later...

Here is my budding collection. (All antique store finds.)

1. MADE IN USA, brass liners

2. Camillus 1960.

3. Camillus 1966.

I have been reading posts here about these knives but have not managed to find any reference to plain scales? I found reference to brass liners and blade configuration, which seems to make NO 1 an early knife. Is it commercial or military issue?

post-164571-0-74455700-1522082224.jpg

In case you haven't already come across these previous threads here's a couple that do touch on the subject of the smooth metal scale utility knives.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/288339-general-purpose-pocket-knife-smooth-handle/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/280302-milk-utility-pocket-knives/

My short answer is, I just don't know.

While the pictures of test knives delivered to the Army's Infantry Board for evaluation does show examples that have smooth scales, I wouldn't be comfortable concluding that these would be the only examples that exist. IMHO, at this point I think that it's still possible that knives like this may have been delivered for private purchase sales thru the military exchange system. Or that these may in fact be examples of post war knives made from left over stock.

Your example is a "first arrangement" knife with the can opener opposite the main blade, and the nail nick on the main blade is positioned farther back on the blade than later examples. The Infantry Board recommended both of these changes during their evaluation period. Exactly how uniformly the recommendations were adapted and exactly when is still pretty much still speculative.

At least from the information I've seen so far.

In case you haven't already come across these previous threads here's a couple that do touch on the subject of the smooth metal scale utility knives.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/288339-general-purpose-pocket-knife-smooth-handle/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/280302-milk-utility-pocket-knives/

SACTROOP,

Thanks so much for the links, great info. Lots of reading to be done. In looking at the prototype photo, all the bales have a rectangular crosssection, while my example has a round crosssection. Looking at other examples posted here, all bales seem to be the former? I have no idea what it means..