• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincennes

Vincennes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,319
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

I picked up 2 photo scrapbooks at the flea market with military photos of Alaska in WW2. The Alaska photos are all(?) in the Cook Inlet/Anchorage area and I have both summer and winter scenes. There are also a few photos of a tropical setting with palm trees (perhaps basic training?).

I will post a 2 here and 2 below. Does anyone know what they are doing in the second photo of this first post?

Paul

Attached Images

• Alaska1.jpg
  • Alaska6.jpg

#2 Vincennes

Vincennes
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Here are 2 more photos.

Paul

Attached Images

• Alaska3.jpg
  • Alaska4.jpg

#3 notinfringed

notinfringed
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,011
  • 940 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Those are some great photos. I also collect Alaska albums when I can find them. I think I have about 30. Anchorage was a pretty small town back then, nothing like the booming city it is today. It is also fairly common to have photos from some other location in the albums. I have one from before the war, where the owner was stationed in Hawaii, then transferred to Alaska for the build up before the Japanese attack. Some times you find them where the owner was shipped to Europe after Alaska as well. It is a lot of fun, and they are a blast to research.

#4 Vincennes

Vincennes
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

Here is another scan from the 2 albums. There are 136 photos in the 2 albums. All are mounted with photo corners. So far only 1 is identified on the reverse. That one is a picture of a young woman. I might be able to use her name to research the owner of the albums.

Paul

Attached Images

• Alaska5b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)