1917 WW1 US/ FRENCH Used 37mm Hotchkiss Shell

greasemonkey247

greasemonkey247

So this is today's find at the local antique store. This came back with a US soldier and was in the attic until recently. There also was a second shell that was more expensive, completely identical except the brass was stippled in trench art saying "St. Mihiel". With this one being cheaper and had inking on the bottom; I decided to pick this one up. And I didn't know much about it since my main focus is WWII but this is what I found out so far

Markings as follows: Casing: 37-85 PDPs 275 9-17

Shell: R (symbol) G

37mm French Hotchkiss made by Parc d'Artillerie de Paris

37-85 = 37mm model of 1885

"France introduced the model 1916 37mm gun for infantry support. It was designed for both direct and indirect fire, and intended primarily for destroying machine gun emplacements. It turned out to be somewhat wanting in this role, and mortars really did a better job. But that didn’t prevent it from being pretty widely used by both American and French units, and other nations after WWI. It also saw use in the early M1917 tank. The US still had a bunch of these in supply at the beginning of WWII, though they were largely used for sub-caliber training"

Am I on the right track and any idea how much it might be worth?

Thanks!

post-162614-0-48504600-1516842517.jpg

post-162614-0-49602400-1516842526.jpg

post-162614-0-37227700-1516842536.jpg

post-162614-0-99735800-1516842577.jpg

It is worth what you were willing to pay. I’d be curious how much the other one was. The projectile does not appear to have been fired. The casing appears to have had the primer removed. Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a whole collection on Gunbroker not long ago I think as nice as that they were in the $60 range but I don't know all the ins and outs if these shells.

greasemonkey247

Thanks! I found this one cheap enough I figured I wouldn't be burned on it, even with not knowing what it is. This one that was stippled one was Priced at $65 so not to horrible on price either, i might go in and take a photo of it later

• 2 weeks later...

Greasemonkey247, I would be interested in the stipled shell if you want to bother with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk