Photo

Spanish American War era bugle with cordage? Or am I just being hopeful?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lost-and-found-history

lost-and-found-history
  • Members
    • Member ID: 176,365
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

I'm hoping that those far more experienced in SAW era items can help me put something to rest. I recently obtained this bugle and attached cordage and have been attempting to research its origin and age with only minimal success. The cordage appears very similar if not identical to that seen on SAW dress coats, with the exception of the color, and is missing one tassle.This cordage is a "yellowed" creme in color. I checked underneath the cordage to see that it might be a very faded blue for infantry or yellow for cavalry, but there is no evidence that it was either light blue or yellow at any time. After researching this type of cordage seen on dress coats, I can't help but shake the conclusion that it's nearly identical. There are no markings anywhere on the bugle and the mouthpiece looks to not be permanently attached, other than by age. I know that it's often difficult to conclude one way or another just from a photo, but I'm hoping that more experienced SAW collectors will have an opinion. Thanks!

Attached Images

• resized_20180123_164624.jpg
  • resized_20180123_164632.jpg

Edited by lost-and-found-history, 24 January 2018 - 12:42 AM.

#2 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

I think somebody took an old horn and creatively attached M1902 Enlisted Uniform Dress Cords to it.  Short of a period photo showing the bugle in this configuration, I would never believe it's anything other than a collector/dealer put-together. 

#3 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 94,991
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:23 AM

I don't know anything about the period, but thought the same thing based solely on wear mis-match. Bugle is hammered, and the cord is pristine. Cobbled together IMO.

#4 warguy

warguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,606
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:24 AM

I agree with Kirt. I believe the infantry in the 1880's wore white not light blue (they changed later) so perhaps these cords are from that period though not intended for the bugle.

#5 lost-and-found-history

lost-and-found-history
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

I think somebody took an old horn and creatively attached M1902 Enlisted Uniform Dress Cords to it.  Short of a period photo showing the bugle in this configuration, I would never believe it's anything other than a collector/dealer put-together. 

Thank you all for your inout. Fortunately, for me, I picked this up on a curious whim and paid nearly nothing for it, so my curiosity wasn't outweighed by the cost. That being said, I would tend to believe that this was period (or thereabouts) done, even though, absent photographic evidence, it is likely not an Infantry bugle from that time period. The location I obtained it is not a dealer or vendor style store, but one in which legitimate and historic items that literally come out of the woodwork walk in all day long. Secondly, while not evident in the photos, the cordage very closely matches the age and wear of the bugle and looks to have been on for many years. The cord is frayed and worn where it is wrapped around he bugle, with only the paddles appearing "pristine." I'll go with the opinions here that it is likely not a military item and rest easy knowing that I've learned a bit more about this period of collecting that is relatively new to me. Thank you!

#6 warguy

warguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,606
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Both the cord and bugle are military items, just likely not worn and used that way in the period. Still, both are nice collectibles with historical significance individually, especially if you didn't pay much for them. Kevin

#7 lost-and-found-history

lost-and-found-history
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Both the cord and bugle are military items, just likely not worn and used that way in the period. Still, both are nice collectibles with historical significance individually, especially if you didn't pay much for them. Kevin

Thank you for confirming that for me. I just wish I knew the story behind it. Either way, this will be a nice addition to my other Spanish-American War items. Even if it's just for the display value.

#8 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Both items could have been purchased out of a Bannerman's Surplus catalogue 75 years ago.  More than enough time for both items to acquire convincing  wear and patina. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users