Ww2 USMC poncho

thecandyman0838

thecandyman0838

Hello, I am looking for a 2nd opinion on this poncho. I bought it a couple months ago from the sportsmansguide listed as ww2 surplus, but it was in the repro catergory. Does the camo / coloring look correct? Is there any worry with it not having a contract stamp? Are there even repro ponchos out there? It came stiff covered in talcum powder, but I soaked it in warm water and now feels like a lawn tarp. Still not very pliable. I also noticed the shape of the buckle is different than most. Pointed instead of round. I also noticed that both arms/sides can't be closed at the same time, maybe a manufacturing error?

Sorry for flipped images. Something is wrong with tapatalk or my phone camera. I can retake pictures if needed.

Thanks

post-146822-15167627132675.jpg

post-146822-15167627289352.jpg

post-146822-15167627368687.jpg

post-146822-15167627545171.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't see anything wrong with it.(from the photos)

Stacks of these have shown up in Europe as surplus.

There was a dealer who sold them at the SOS for a few years.

Many are still being sold from Greece.

Some will still show signs of the old talcum powder from storage.The green camo side appears to have a white residue?

Also the originals can be foubd unmarked or faintly marked USN or USMC.I have had unmarked ones before.

Originals have a distinct smell to them and feel.

I saw a repro once,Think it was from MIL-TEC/STURM.It was very thin material and the colors were weird.

This appears 100% original. WW2 Impressions had reproductions but they sold out quickly. They cost at least as much as originals, maybe more. As Doyler points out, lots of manufacturer mark options. Look closely at the edge seam on the green side. The marking can be very faint.

Hi,

Looks like one of the surplus ones to me as well, you will probably find the markings if you keep looking closely.

-Steve

thecandyman0838

I don't see anything wrong with it.(from the photos)

Stacks of these have shown up in Europe as surplus.

There was a dealer who sold them at the SOS for a few years.

Many are still being sold from Greece.

Some will still show signs of the old talcum powder from storage.The green camo side appears to have a white residue?

Also the originals can be foubd unmarked or faintly marked USN or USMC.I have had unmarked ones before.

Originals have a distinct smell to them and feel.

I saw a repro once,Think it was from MIL-TEC/STURM.It was very thin material and the colors were weird.

Yes, when I received it the whole poncho was folded up and covered in powder and about as stiff as a board. I soaked it in warm water which removed most of the powder but not all. Now it is a little more pliable, but I feel like it could crack if moved wrong. I am assuming its original then due to the powder. Thank you for the information.

thecandyman0838

This appears 100% original. WW2 Impressions had reproductions but they sold out quickly. They cost at least as much as originals, maybe more. As Doyler points out, lots of manufacturer mark options. Look closely at the edge seam on the green side. The marking can be very faint.

Hi,

Looks like one of the surplus ones to me as well, you will probably find the markings if you keep looking closely.

-Steve

I've searched all over with a flashlight, but I will take a closer look when I can fully open it. Thanks

Go to a boating shop and get a spray bottle of vinyl mold and uv treatment also known as 303 Aerospace protectant this will bring it back to life, will not stain and works great not cheap though.

I'm surprised it's stiff, a lot of Greek ones were still very pliable from what I've heard?

I know there is several ways to make them more pliable but I would be worried about the long term effects.

Cheers,

-Steve