General Officer help needed

Ritman

I've had this signed photo for years. He never made it into my identified collection. I pulled him out yesterday and spent considerable time trying to finally place a name with the picture with zero results. I'm hoping someone on this forum recognizes him, can decipher his name, look at his ribbons as clues, use "Signal Corps, U.S. Army" embossed at bottom or anything else you may see to finally place a name on this picture. Thank you in advance for looking and possibly leading me to some suggestions I am missing.

Jeff

post-95-0-49624300-1516450922_thumb.jpeg

post-95-0-20272200-1516450961_thumb.jpeg

OK, some of the clues..

BG officer appears to have the following decorations:

US Army Distinguished Service Medal Spanish American War Medal

Philippines Campaign Medal World War 1 Victory Medal with campaign star Foreign award

Col. R. H. Williams may be LTC R. H. Williams that is listed as a liason officer in 1928. I believe that the inscription is to a Full Colonel, so if this is the same man, this would be after he was promoted. This man was promoted to Colonel on 1 Sep, 1930. He retired on 31 Oct 1938. Williams also has the DSM, Spanish American War Medal, Philippines Campaign Medal, WWI Victory Meal with 5 stars, as well as the British DSO and French Legion of Honor

The BG officer appears to be wearing a Sam Browne belt. This belt was authorized for wear in the 1917 (in Europe only), and not allowed in the limits of the United States. New regulations for 1921 specified that all officers were to wear the Sam Browne belt at all time when not in quarters. The Sam Browne belt began to disappear as part of the uniform in the late 1930s, but was officially abolished in June of 1942.

So, this picture was taken between Sep 1930 (when Williams was made full colonel) and June, 1942, when the Sam Brown belt was abolished, and most likely between Sep 1930 and Oct 1938.

emccomas-- wow there are some great clues from a single picture. Are you a detective? I am impressed!!

CNY Militeria -- BG Edwin S Hartshorn is a perfect match!! I'm curious what clue(s) put this name with this picture?