• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Hi, here are some photos of what I recently found in a farm on Hill 192. This container for six rounds of 60 mm mortar shell was stored in the basement of the old barn and had not been opened since WWII!!!

While in the farm, we tried to open it but only succeeded in moving 1 cm of the cap :blink: !! the faremer also tried with us and we had some fun together and hopefully no one was around filming the scene :lol:

There was just a noise inside that made us think the container still contained some stuff (my digger friend voted for a dead bird :lol: )

Well, while at home, we spent long long time again, moving the cap from cms to cms. I thought I would broke my forearms and my friend was next to it so http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif and he is stronger than I am. Kids and wife had fun, of course. Well, after two damn weeks I finally succeeded in opening it with very few dammages to the container...

Here is what I found :rolleyes: It is not Not as important as Touthankhamon's grave find nor a dead bird, but I just find it great http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif

Photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Inside of the cap marked by the three little containers

Posted Image

What's in??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And what I find really great: An empty sachet for Beeman's gum

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://i37.tinypic.com/e022x4.jpg

There also was some dirt and old leafs inside the container so I have left it as found.

I just must tell you I have made a short trip to 1944 with this small find ;)

Fot those who know veteran Charly Curley from E/38th, the farm where it was found is the farm where his company launched its attack on July 11th 1944 for the capture of the hill...

the farmer also gave us a a M-1 rifle barrel that we found in the same barn (photos later)

Yannick

#2 gtpcamaroz

gtpcamaroz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,071
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

Wow, that is one spectacular find. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif

#3 brandon_rss18

brandon_rss18
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,378
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

That is really awesome, I also think the neatest part of the whole thing is the gum wrapper inside! Certainly someone who did nto like to litter! :)

#4 thebidkahuna

thebidkahuna
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,646
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

That's a great story... To bad there wasn't a slice of gum in there...lol

#5 Battle For Brest

Battle For Brest
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,987
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Nice find, I like it.

Regards, http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Jeremy.

#6 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

Good one! Thanks....Bobgee

#7 jgawne

jgawne
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 1,657
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

Too bad there were not bars of Nazi Gold in it !

#8 37thguy

37thguy

• Members
    • Member ID: 729
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Interesting. There's death and destruction all around, and someone didn't want to litter?! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

Could the paper strips inside be the tapes that were pulled to get into the tubes?

#9 Mike Musura

Mike Musura
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,703
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Superbe trouvaille, beautiful find ! :lol:

#10 yannick

yannick
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:14 AM

Thanks friends for comments http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

No Rommel's gold, but still digging.

Could the paper strips inside be the tapes that were pulled to get into the tubes?

I guess yes.

There is one paper strip for one MKII handgrenade tube and one that could be striped around the big container. There is Also some thinner stripes (same as the one for handgrenade but without any marking) that could have been from the 60 mm mortar shell tube...

Yannick

#11 Broccoli

Broccoli
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,248
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

Yannick,
it's a really great find! Did you know those containers were also used for keeping the medical stuff dry? http://www.med-dept....c.php?f=1&t=408 I am completing a normandy medic (and a 60mm mortar) displays, It you were bored of this, let me know! :w00t:

Please, could you make a better photo of those yellow stripes? I am starting a production of 60mm M49A2 round container and Bazooka rounds and grenade containers. And I really need the exact writing on this yellow tape for those 3 types of containers - The font, size etc.
How wide is the tape, please? and what material? It's really hard to find a good photo.

Thank you! Frankie

P.S.:Your Ranger Garand is the best dug-out thing I have seen

#12 yannick

yannick
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

Hello frankie, this 155 how container was recently sold at the Static Line shop at Sainte Mere l'Eglise. Except from markings, the 155th is exactly the same in size as the container for 60 mm mortars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only one from the field I've been able to see.

About yellow stripes, they look the same facture as chatterton used by medics or Engineers, but yellow color instead of white or black. I'll try to make better photos of the markings.

And thanks for comments!

Yannick

#13 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,225
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:20 AM

Wow, that is one spectacular find. :w00t:

+1 :thumbsup:

Tim

#14 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,225
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

I thought exactly the same thing. That is what it looks like to me.

Tim

#15 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

I believe that Medical Container or a similar one was for sale at the last Ciney Show...

#16 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:49 AM

Here's an example of how tubes were sealed with those yellow tapes...

Attached Images

• Frag.jpg

#17 Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,548
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:29 AM

What plain old GI that had just landed a few days previous and just threw some extra paper bits into a mortar container would ever think that the next person to open it would be 67 years later, and they would be excited to find his trash!!!!!!!

Great find, I just love seeing the relics that were actually there, adds a whole new dimension to it

Edited by Misanthropic_Gods, 04 February 2011 - 03:30 AM.

#18 Broccoli

Broccoli
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,248
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

WOW.. I love it. I need it :D Thank you very much for sending those photos! Don't youknow the price?

Johan, thanks for the grenade tubes pictures. I am very sad I haven't seen the container on the Ciney show - don't you know how much the seller wanted?

Thank you!
Franie
P.S:- yesterday I was by in friend's flat - heis the one who is making the 60m mcont. copies - and he has a 155m container, too.. We tried to put 3 60mm containers in it - and it was really the size! We tought we"discovered Aerica" - and you allready know it. NOT FAIR! :D

Edited by Broccoli, 05 February 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#19 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:51 AM

Very interesting find!

I imagine that the difficulty in opening and the smell were from the type of glue used; over the decades it must have gotten very hot inside that little container

#20 yannick

yannick
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Very interesting find!

I imagine that the difficulty in opening and the smell were from the type of glue used; over the decades it must have gotten very hot inside that little container

;)

Thanks Chris,

I should say the main difficulty was due to the lack of air in the tube and the pression was just sooo heavy... I only could open it by making two small holes in the tube...

Yannick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users