Identified and Battle Damaged 45th MP Co M1 Helmet

IKEsaysGO44

A poignant battle damaged 45th Military Police Company, 45th Infantry Division M1 Helmet identified to Private Richard G. Eager (35017382).

Eager was from Bryan, Ohio - which is scratched into the yellow band just above the laundry number(when affixed).

This is a true time capsule and is completely untouched. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do!

Andy

post-141357-0-38578700-1516331696_thumb.jpg

Application for Headstone or Marker.

Richard passed away in 1960, at the age of 42, from a heart attack. He was a fire fighter in Bryan, Ohio in the years following the war.

post-141357-0-86065900-1516332066.png

Wow, just Wow...! Must have been a big piece of artillery chunk that took that off... Poor guy, concussion for sure... How, how did you ever come across a lid like this...? Amazing..! Regards, Chris

It looks like a fragment came from behind and to slightly to the left, entered the helmet throught its opening, then hit the front left of the helmet, bent it slightly from the inside, started following the helmet's curvature, the managed to burst out, taking a big chunk of the helmet out with it.

JL

Burning Hazard

Amazing helmet, love those MP painted lids. Also, very interesting how the "MP" is painted using yellow paint instead of white, haven't seen that before but looks like it might of been painted in a rush while in the field. While watching lots of footage I noticed MP's adding rank on their MP helmets in 1945.

Pat

Thanks to all for the comments.

Pat,

Here is a shot from the 45th MP Combat reels with the same sytle. Obviously it is hard to tell if the MP is white or yellow in this photo, but I tend to believe the paint is the same color. When I showed this to a few collectors (before I had ID'd it) who focus on the Italian Campaign, both mentioned 45th ID as the yellow and stencil font are particular to this MP Company.

Anyway..here is the photo.

Andy

post-141357-0-85114300-1516380481.jpg

What is the back story on this helmet?

Any lineage?

Where did you find it?

The more I look at it the more I love that color yellow.