Engine data tag, B-25 H "Catch 22"

P-59A

According to Baugher's list the serial number stamped on the top of the engine data plate (43-4643) comes back to the B-25 described in Baugher's list as..........."4643 (MSN 98-21664) later redesignated TB-25H. SOC at Searcy Field, Stillwater, OK. Purchased by Paul Mantz
Feb 19, 1946 for use as camera platform (NX1203). Sold
in 1975 and went through a succession of users. Used in film *Catch 22*, registered N1203, film serial
01203. Was camera ship. During filmining, a cameraman fell out and was killed.
Ended up in South America running drugs. Written off after a crash landing in 1981.
While this machine was allegedly destroyed in Colombia, it was reported still to be flying in South America."

post-169522-0-27425400-1516324560_thumb.jpg

The B-25 used Wright R2600's not P&W R985's. Are you sure the 43-4643 listed on the data plate is an aircraft S/N or tail number?

ETA: This is the type certificate data sheet for the number referenced in the upper right corner of the data plate: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/55f5d74fc76375d58525676a00677446/$FILE/ATTFPUN1/5E-1.pdf

The B-25 used Wright R2600's not P&W R985's. Are you sure the 43-4643 listed on the data plate is an aircraft S/N or tail number?

ETA: This is the type certificate data sheet for the number referenced in the upper right corner of the data plate: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/55f5d74fc76375d58525676a00677446/$FILE/ATTFPUN1/5E-1.pdf

Now you have my attention! It has always been my understanding That the engine data tags were stamped to the aircraft tail number they were mated to in the factory. 43-4643 is the USAAF tail number just as if it were a Nav Bu No that would be the tail number of that aircraft. Am I missing something?

So the question is this...On aircraft, the contract number and the tail number are one and the same...that's not the question, that is a fact. Do engines follow the same numeric contract numbering systems as aircraft? Is the 43-4643 the contract number for that engine? If so, and it looks like it is. I screwed up! SORRY FOR THE MISS INFORMATION! I learned something new, hope others did too?

Now you have my attention! It has always been my understanding That the engine data tags were stamped to the aircraft tail number they were mated to in the factory. 43-4643 is the USAAF tail number just as if it were a Nav Bu No that would be the tail number of that aircraft. Am I missing something?

Maybe it is as simple as a dropped or transposed digit in that data field at the time of manufacture/installation? Or perhaps it was a replacement plate for a damaged unit and got stamped wrong by the mechanic replacing it? Another thought, that data plate field is labeled "USAF or BU NO". Would that make this a post-1947 data plate? Were earlier plates marked "USAAC or BU NO" or "USAAF or BU NO"?

No, The 43- confirms it was made in 1943. Data tags are known for not having all the info stamped on them, but they are always correct. This has to be for that specific engine contract. The idea is if a number of engines in that production run have issues the can pull them out of inventory , figure out what caused the problem and fix the issue.

This data plate is for the engine only and not for a particular aircraft.

Engine data plates would not list an aircraft tail number, the engines are not permanently assigned to an individual aircraft. An airframe would have many different engines throughout the service life of the individual aircraft.

The individual aircraft logbook would list the serial numbers of all engines currently installed on the aircraft. Engines were, and are a pool item to be used on whatever airframe needed a engine.

Chris

Just to add some additional details, tag would have come off a Wasp Junior SB, SB2, SB3 type engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-985_Wasp_Junior

I have a similar data tag that I've researched a bit, mine is a USN contract (NXSA-14041, pre war contract). USN spec AN-2035, work number 19665. A/c was scrapped on 10/11/79 - but no idea what type it was or service history unfortunately.