The End ... sort of

emccomas

Good morning all;

As most of your know, I have been liquidating my collection.

This morning I sold the very last items.

So my collection is not completely gone, with a few exceptions.

I am hanging onto about a dozen United Daughters of the Confederacy Crosses of Military Service. I like these, and I am continuing my research into these medals.

I am also keeping the WWI Purple Heart (#7383) that is elaborately engraved to Lyle E. White. This mystery intrigues me, and I want to keep researching it.

So, unless I have missed something in the safe, that is it. The collection is history.

A couple of have asked me why I was getting rif of it all.

It was time, I did not want my wife to have to deal with this stuff (she has no clue about this, or even where to turn), and most important, I had a ton of money tied up in this collection. I used the proceeds from this sale to buy a completely restored 1964 Corvette coupe.

I will continue to do research, and post occasionally.

Thanks everyone, it has been fun, and educational.

Ed

post-12036-0-91730200-1516280196_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-13432300-1516280205.jpg

Good Luck! I have been thinking on the same lines for the collection, I will say I went through the Car phase earlier in life, I sold my 1969 Camaro I totally restored about 3 years ago. I had it for 25 years. I drove it less and less. I passed it on to a co worker of my wife, so I still get too see it. LOL. Again I wish you all the best! Although I don't think you will ever get rid of the collecting disease :rolleyes: !

Big decision, for all the right reasons.

Nice Vette, by the way - I am of the age to remember exactly when those came out! Loved them then, and still.

Jennings Lane

Whether we want to think about it or not, we only own this stuff for a while. Enjoy your Corvette. It's beautiful.

Liquidating in order to buy vintage Vette is noble, congrats!

I don't know if this is so much noble as it is just a fun way to make the change. I too did the whole muscle car thing years ago, a couple Camaro's, 442, Mustang, RT... now I like the comfort of a car over it's top end. My collection is also in it's downsizing mode as my life takes yet another direction and the profits are used in this new endeavor. As the OP noted, we are the only ones who know about this junk, why put the burden on the family once we are gone. Selling a Vette is easier to accomplish than selling a pile of collectable surplus.

I just meant that it was better than say raising bail money, paying for a divorce, or medical bills. At least a Vette is iconic Americana that is fun too!

I just meant that it was better than say raising bail money, paying for a divorce, or medical bills. At least a Vette is iconic Americana that is fun too!

I knew what you were getting at and was not trying to correct you. My apologies, I just see it as a fun way to make the change. Noble would have been Ed giving me the Vette. :)

Thanks to all for your comments.

My wife enjoys the Corvette as much as I do, so that is a real plus. She never did understand the attraction to medals.

I also recently liquidated a large portion of my coin collection for the same reasons. I kept my complete Good to Uncirculated Lincoln Cent collection, my uncirculated Jefferson Nickel collection, and a few other odd and end coins that I like. I had been dragging that Lincoln Cent collection around with me since I was 10 years old. I finally just decided to finish it a few years ago with the 09-S VDB and the 22 plain cents.

I knew what you were getting at and was not trying to correct you. My apologies, I just see it as a fun way to make the change. Noble would have been Ed giving me the Vette. :)

That would not have been noble, that would have been suicide by wife. :)

Being a car nut, I can see why you made the change. The Corvette is gorgeous.

It is also a lot of fun.

Just a 300hp, 4 speed car with P/S and P/B, but it is a blast to drive.

I just installed a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Man, what a difference.

That would not have been noble, that would have been suicide by wife. :)

I'd put flowers on your grave on the anniversary of your unplanned demise. :P

THAT would be a noble gesture!

This is true. I'd even drive the Vette to the cemetery in respect and honor of this selfless and great act of sacrifice by Ed for me.

dhcoleterracina

Not a Mustang but pretty cool

I remember saying goodbye to collecting once. In my experience the desire never leaves so goodbye for now.