Info needed for Lanz, Owen & Co. holsters

Retired Army Noncom

Retired Army Noncom

Seems this Chicago company made quite a few holsters for the Army for SAA and DA revolvers but I can't find any pertinent info about the company.

Would anyone have any info?

Thanks

Ed

Lanz, Owen & Co.

183 ½ - 189 Lake St

Chicago, Illinois.

Lanz, Owen & Co., manufactured holsters for the Ordnance Department during the Spanish American War and was the only contractor to manufacture holsters specifically for the Colt M1873 Cavalry Revolver.

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

Charlie Flick

Richard W. Owen and George Lanz were both veteran producers of leather goods when they formed a partnership, Lanz Owen & Co., in the 1880s. Owen was a Welsh immigrant who fought for the Union during the Civil War as a member of the 29th Wisconsin Volunteers. Owen learned the leather and harness trade after the War in Wisconsin.

The business operated in Chicago at 183 Lake Street and later at 70 West Jackson Boulevard. The primary business of the company was the manufacture of fine quality leather goods including trunks, cases and valises. The Company made the Model of 1881 holsters for the US Army to carry the Colt Single Action Army and S&W Schofield revolvers. The Company is also reported to have made US holsters for the SAA revolver during the Spanish American War. By 1914 the partnership had dissolved although George Lanz was still in the leather business in Chicago, according to a contemporary issue of Harness magazine.

That's about all I know about the company. It was a relatively minor player in the manufacture of USGI holsters but definitely left its mark. It made a quality holster.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

Retired Army Noncom

Great info fellas...thanks....

Any book out there that covers the holsters they made? I have noticed that I've not seen any of their holsters with lanyard rings, plugs yes but with no rings. My main interest is the M1889/99 holsters they made. Lot's of photos I've found but still no lanyard rings.

Ed

Also, I've seen where these holsters can fetch a good price, was it because of the outside contract and not as many made? The quality?

Retired Army Noncom

Mine is exact except, I have the letter B under the name and I have no hole in the plug.

post-169486-0-38698000-1516194932_thumb.jpg

I'll have better photos later.

Retired Army Noncom

I received the holster today and the plug is very much original to the holster, maker marks, Lanz, Owen & Co, H.E.K are visible and an obscured date of 1898/9 is present but there is no hole in the plug, never was. Never a lanyard....whether having a lanyard ring as part of the contract awarded, I don't know, maybe someone else has that piece of info.

Ed

My research tells me that the lanyard loop was not added to the New Model Army revolver holster until after the change to russet leather

around 1902.. I'm also adding photos of my Lanz, Owen holster for the SAA Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Best George

post-2782-0-93833000-1516576052_thumb.jpg.

post-2782-0-20870900-1516576126_thumb.jpg

Retired Army Noncom

My research tells me that the lanyard loop was not added to the New Model Army revolver holster until after the change to russet leather

around 1902.. I'm also adding photos of my Lanz, Owen holster for the SAA Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Best George

attachicon.gifM1880 holster 4th model.jpg.

attachicon.gifM1880 Holster 4th Model Back.jpg

Thanks George..........mine is a good shape, not as nice as yours but solid and very little scuffing. The 'U' in 'US' is a bit worn. Still, real good price paid, I'm quite pleased.

Ed