• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

The show is going strong, from what I could see really good attendance, the aisles were pretty busy. There is so much stuff here it is overwhelming at times, but with some focus and taking your time you can really find some treasures. Everyone I have dealt with has been willing to deal a bit, so don't be put off by some of the price tags. One of the best parts for me is meeting so many of the forum members face to face! Hope to see you here. Look for us under the bright yellow armored guidon in row Q 68-71.

#52 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

If you are a WWII USMC collector and didn't attend the SOS this year, you really missed out. This was by far the most USMC heavy show I have ever experienced. I was able to pick up my holy grail. A VMF-115 Joe's Jokers patch (Thank you Mort!!!). I also found a WWI 5th Marines overseas cap with the numeral 5 device. If you are an EGA collector, Tim Klie was here selling books and his EGA collection. The crowds were bigger and a lot of money was changing hands. The veteran guests were great and the whole vibe of the show was upbeat. And to top everything off, a celebrity collector was again in attendance. I won't mention any names, but think Modern Family, Saving Silverman, and Sahara. Fury and Suicide Squad was represented as well...  B)

Great show overall. See you at Pomona,

#53 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,331 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

To give a little bit of an idea of how large the show is, here is a pano that i took before i left on Friday.

SOS 2018 v3.JPG

#54 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,331 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

But...how many times did you loop back because you felt the pull of a certain piece? :D

RC, LOL you're not too far off!   I THINK I went down every aisle this year, but i know I circled a few tables like a vulture in search of carrion.  I know I did several laps up and down aisle "T" looking for Ron and his Flying Tiger Antiques tables.I'm used to seeing his banner high above his tables, but this year he had it on the front of his tables. You know it's a big show when a dealer with 8 or 10 tables gets lost in the crowd. 

#55 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

My mind immediately went to R Lee Ermey when i read the above since he was in Saving Silverman... That woulda figured, the one year i don't go! Heck, my daughter is mostly named for him. Wife kept hearing "i am gunnery sergeant R. Lee Ermey and this is mail call" when she was pregnant for our little boy and decided that if we ever had a girl, she'd be Arlie. I really like the fellow you're talking about too, though. Never had him pegged as a collector, pretty cool.

#56 101CH47

101CH47
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,964
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

Spent three days at the show with friends from Ohio and Norway.  Very much enjoyed the time there, always great to visit with old friends you only see a few times a year.  Being a vendor helps in that regard since people find you instead trying to met up while walking through the show.

The only thing I bought at the show was a Shell Motor Spirits can to display with my Vickers machine gun.  It was an item I had been looking for a number of years and was darn proud to have found one.

#57 101CH47

101CH47
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,964
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

My mind immediately went to R Lee Ermey when i read the above since he was in Saving Silverman... That woulda figured, the one year i don't go! Heck, my daughter is mostly named for him. Wife kept hearing "i am gunnery sergeant R. Lee Ermey and this is mail call" when she was pregnant for our little boy and decided that if we ever had a girl, she'd be Arlie. I really like the fellow you're talking about too, though. Never had him pegged as a collector, pretty cool.

At one time he was a regular at the show.

#58 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,862
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

Who is this celebrity collector?

Hunt

#59 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

Pretty sure his first name is Steve...

#60 tigerfan

tigerfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,609
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Pretty sure his first name is Steve...

#61 tigerfan

tigerfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,609
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Steve Zahn. Also played "Lenny" in That thing you do.

#62 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Huh never thought of him as a collector, wonder if he is a forum member?

Hunt

#63 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Huh never thought of him as a collector, wonder if he is a forum member?

Hunt

I've heard a lot of celebrity collectors have guys who buy on their behalf, since they are either too busy and/or too harrassed when they go out themselves. I mean, his name was flushed out here pretty fast. Must have been nice to go to a place where the veterans are the celebrities and he could be seen as just another collector

Edited by Brig, 25 February 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#64 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

I bet. That's why i just said his first name!

#65 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

I've heard a lot of celebrity collectors have guys who buy on their behalf, since they are either too busy and/or too harrassed when they go out themselves. I mean, his name was flushed out here pretty fast. Must have been nice to go to a place where the veterans are the celebrities and he could be seen as just another collector

Yeah good point, I doubt I would have recognized him in the sea of people that must've been there though!

Hunt

#66 Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 199
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

Photos please for those of us stuck in mundane reality back home??????!!!

Kurt

#67 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

He’s been coming to the show for several years now. He has family in Kentucky. He came to my table year before last and was looking at my items when I realized who he was. I really liked him in Sahara with Matt McConaghey. Nice guy.
Ronnie

#68 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Photos please for those of us stuck in mundane reality back home??????!!!

Kurt

Yeah, gotta say, we've never been left this high and dry before for so long

#69 Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,578
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

My observation is that WWII German items were slow at selling, Lots of German helmets for sale that just seemed to sit there. Good US items were still strong. A lot more foreign buyers then in the last 2 years, seems the Russian buyers have returned. Saturday was a good crowd since the gun show was also going on again. Still the best show in the world.

#70 Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,578
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

I have seen him several times in the past few shows.

#71 MAW

MAW
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,778
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

The show was well organized and well attended, as per usual. The OVMS staff did a great job hearing cats!

The crowd was strong right up to the 3:00 tear down on Saturday.

There didn't seem to be as many good/"bigger" WWI groupings available throughout the show. Lots of WWI uniforms....not as many groups as usual. Saw some nice field grey and horizon blue for sale for the right price.

WWII groups were there....some were high priced but others were fair. They tended to move.

It was a busy show from start to finish. The only thing that stunk was that it started to rain, then rain heavily during tear down on Saturday, which made everything more "interesting ".

#72 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

Bingo! You chose well. The other was a reference to our own kammoman...

I bet. That's why i just said his first name!

#73 kammo-man

kammo-man
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,009
  • 12,784 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

I was at the show ......but couldnt couldnt be me for flip sake.

The show was busy with plenty to find for collectors of whatever your type of angle.

The non German collectors were running around giving the German collectors a run for their money.

There was plenty of US items for sale.

I of course am always drawn to the cammo first and seem plenty of WW2 USMC and Army suits for sale......

The ones priced correct didnt say on the tables long.

The higher prices ones made good table covers.

There was some Nam cammo and again High priced remained ...like the USAF ARVN Ranger Advisor suit priced above 3 k stayed on the table,like the WW2 cammo if priced high it stayed if priced to move it did.

One thing I seen was the J Murray REPO helmet  booth.

I was surprised to see his Camouflage helmet liner manufactured with a VERY good paint job.

I seen from afar and thought I was seeing a mound of unissued original liners !!!!

I did not ask price though.

But job well done.

I was going to the rear of the hall on thursday and seen a ARVN yellow helmet.

I thought NO couldnt be.

Picked it up and got a good vibe.

The rest of the booth was very mixed.

I asked the vendor where this came from.

He told me his father owned a pawn shop in town and it came in 40 years ago.

His father had died many years ago and just put all military away in hoard.

He had just opened up the back room and was bringing stuff to show for the first time.

Anyway we did a deal and I walked with helmet.

I also came home with a few great patches and a cool cammo flight suit that my good friends played a #$%&ing joke on me.

Thanks guys ....love you all. !!!

The show was very good this year and very well run.

Thanks Jeff.

If you collect militaria you need to get to this at least once in your life.

I seen many people and said hello but if I did not its only because I am in hunting mode.......and we all know what that means !!

owen.

#74 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Gotta say...One of my most prized possessions arrived to me today.  A student of mine that went down spoke to Joe Galloway for me.  Signed my musette bag and copy of We Are Soldiers Still on one of the early pages that shows one ofhis photos.  I surely hope he will come back next year.

#75 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 52,765
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Gotta say...One of my most prized possessions arrived to me today.  A student of mine that went down spoke to Joe Galloway for me.  Signed my musette bag and copy of We Are Soldiers Still on one of the early pages that shows one ofhis photos.  I surely hope he will come back next year.

When I was in line for Galloway and Crandall, both of them said they wouldn’t be there next year, but you never know, a lot can change in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users