• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 ryanduggerr

ryanduggerr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,164
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Im not sure if there is already a discussion on this but who all is going and what are you looking for?

Mine is quality WWII theater made patches.

#2 Major Z

Major Z
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,340
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

This will be my third year. I am looking for Quartermaster Corps items (uniforms, helmets, pins I don't have, etc.). Had okay luck with it so far but I'm hoping there will be better pickings this year.

#3 mortaydc60

mortaydc60
  • Members
    • Member ID: 565
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Starting to get ready for the show. Will have 6 tables with approx 24 cases full of patches. The patches are for the most part higher end and or better patches. Have VN era ARVN SF, WW2  Marine and Marine SQ patches,included in the Marine is a China Horse patch for the 4th regt as well as both versions of the Samoan patch. War Crime Trials real ones,theater made airborne WW2,bomb and fighter sq WW2 and later,rare Bazooka patch,bullion 509 and theater made emb 509, chemical motar,and perhaps best selection of artillery patches available just for starters. So if you attend please stop buy and take a look,take photos and add to your collection.

#4 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Sitting it out this year. Brought a grand last year and didn't see any uniforms that fit my bill. Went Friday, what i saw were either not my focus or not identifiable, for the most part. Saw a few that were more than i wanted to spend, but the real problem was there wasn't anybody to take my money at the half a dozen tables that did have something interesting. Went back half a dozen times to check on several things. I ended up buying a WWI French helmet just because there was someone there to give money to.

I'll probably go next year. The last couple shows I've went to weren't very uniform heavy for that matter.

Edited by Garandomatic, 16 January 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#5 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

This will be my 20th year and I would not miss SOS.  I will have the same three tables at T 18-20 (or thereabouts since they don't tell you your table numbers until you show up) so drop by and say hello.  I am always looking for edged weapons and MP/Constabulary stuff.  I always find some nice goodies to buy at this show.

George Wheeler (Sarge)

#6 JBFloyd

JBFloyd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 293
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

I've been to every one except the third one and have always found something to fill a hole or launch a research quest.

I'll have 7 tables of worldwide orders, decorations and medals.

I'll be looking for American medal groups with British awards and British medal groups with American awards.

#7 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

We will be there! We have 4 tables, I will try and bring my prized "Green Bay Packers North-woods Camo" helmet as an identifier. Hope to put more names with faces.

i am looking for the Wisconsin Vocational School made fighting knives, Cool flags, captured (sewn on) german insignia, and as usual anything really cool that I just can't live without!

Soooooo Looking forward to it!!

#8 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

I will be there are usual looking for POW groups, Naval and AAF Aviation Groups + USN Gallantry groups,

Kurt

#9 AirCorpsHJS

AirCorpsHJS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 52,765
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

I will be there, third year in a row, second as a vendor. My crew will have a 6 table island again.  (hopefully). Im chomping at the bit! Trying to figure out what im going to bring.

I'm looking for higher end WWII US uniforms or uniform groups.

#10 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:49 AM

For the first time in years, I won’t be able to make it to SOS 2018 due to work. Should be back at it next year!

#11 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

I will be there searching the hall for 1950s era tac mark painted airborne helmets of the 11AB etc....will have a table full of goodies with Rick, Tom and Tom Sr.....see you all there...would never miss a SOS....mike

#12 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

I will be there, third year in a row, second as a vendor. My crew will have a 6 table island again.  (hopefully). Im chomping at the bit! Trying to figure out what im going to bring.

I'm looking for higher end WWII US uniforms or uniform groups.

You can always bring an A-2 with a cocker spaniel painted on the back.........

#13 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:16 AM

Bob you might to try big boy pants this year, been kind of a real mid-western winter back here...Be looking for you George

#14 zippy144

zippy144
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,730
  • 551 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Hi

I am making the trip across the pond again this year. I absolutely love the SOS show there is nothing else like it.
I will be on the hunt for D-Day / Normandy related stuff and M-1 helmets.

Regards

Tom

#15 Trevor M. Larson

Trevor M. Larson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 159,417
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

Just booked my flight and hotel! Will be my 2nd year down there. Looking for army in the pacific items

#16 Sully

Sully
  • Members
    • Member ID: 131,982
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

This will be my third year.  I'll be setting up with my Uncle, he has three tables.

#17 kammo-man

kammo-man
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,009
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Posted Image
Here’s the Sos set up crew

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 MT247

MT247
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157,549
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

I am so jealous. I will get down there one of these years. Please keep us posted on how things are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 CombatEng44

CombatEng44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,455
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Got to work in the garage yesterday and decided on a few nice items for the SOS.

Iwo Jima Footlocker with contents...straight from vet.

WWI Airplane Tool Box(Signal Corp 1918 Dated)

ANC, WAC, WAVES Groupings

My wife's Japanese Rifle from her father's estate unless she changes her mind again.

Two FULL tables of WWII Stuff we WANT to sell!

See ya all there!

#20 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

For those interested - the list of 2018 special guests is up on the OVMS website:

http://www.sosovms.c...Special-Guests/

I am particularly interested to visit with James Baize - very interesting story!

James Baize enlisted in the US Navy in 1943. He was only 15 years old and lied about his age. After his basic training at Great Lakes, IL, he volunteered to serve on an aircraft carrier. However, the navy had other plans and transferred Jim to an amphibious landing craft training unit at Camp Pendleton. There he learned to operate an LCVP, the famous Higgins boat. After training, Jim was assigned as Coxswain on LCVP 13 aboard the USS Highlands.  Jim’s early combat experiences included the invasions of Siapan, Titian, and Guam. On February 19, 1945, Jim steered his boat toward the black volcanic sand beaches of Iwo Jima. With a crew of three and a cargo of 38 Marines in the second wave, he headed for the objective; Red Beach 1 at the foot of Mt. Suribachi.  Sailing under heavy fire, Baize’s boat was within 20 yards of the beach when it suffered a direct hit from Japanese artillery. Jim found himself in the water floating amid bodies, blood and wreckage. Dazed but alive, he was pulled to shore by a Marine he would know only as “Jack.” Jack handed him an M1 rifle, helmet, knife, poncho, jacket and some hardtack, all collected from dead comrades. It had taken Jim eight weeks to become a sailor. He became a Marine in an hour.  For the next seven days Seaman Baize fought as an infantryman with the Marines, inching forward under unimaginable, hellish conditions. On the morning of February 23rd, he witnessed the first American flag raised on Mt. Suribachi. A little while later he also saw the more famous second raising of a larger flag which is known from the iconic photograph.  On the evening of the 26th, Jim was part of a group of Marines ordered to take the Number 1 airfield at Motoyama. The unit came under heavy machine gun fire and his buddy Jack was killed. Jim jumped into a shell hole and was knocked unconscious.  He had no memory of leaving Iwo Jima and woke up in hospital. His recovery took six months. He was the only survivor of the crew and men of LCVP 13. After the war, Jim took advantage of the GI Bill and received degrees in mechanical and nuclear engineering."

#21 Dagda

Dagda
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 50,004
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

Got to work in the garage yesterday and decided on a few nice items for the SOS.

Iwo Jima Footlocker with contents...straight from vet.

WWI Airplane Tool Box(Signal Corp 1918 Dated)

ANC, WAC, WAVES Groupings

My wife's Japanese Rifle from her father's estate unless she changes her mind again.

Two FULL tables of WWII Stuff we WANT to sell!

See ya all there!

Where will you be set up?

#22 Grant Bias

Grant Bias
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,979
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

I have 4 tables and will be setting up a display on the First Special Service Force.

#23 CombatEng44

CombatEng44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,455
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Dagda asked:  Where will you be set up?

We are almost directly in front of the huge doors in the back right...the ones the dealers come through. Walk through doors, veer slightly left and you will run into the tables. 1st row.

My wife decided to sell her nice box made from the Captain's door off the USS Hartford. Farragut's flagship ...."Damn the torpedoes..full speed ahead"! I think something like 12 MOH awarded to men on this ship. Came from Navy doctor's estate in Western New York who was present in Norfolk when the ship was disassembled after collapsing at the dock. What a shame.

Anyone know if the show is a sellout? 

#24 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Anyone know if the show is a sellout? 

Yes.  It is completely sold out, with about 70+ people left on the waiting list for tables.  There are always cancellations, and up until about a week or so ago those released tables were filled via the waiting list.  At this point, though, it is too late to fill them from the waiting list.  SO, any tables that become open due to last-minute cancellations will be available first-come, first-serve starting at 10:00 am on Thursday.

If you want tables for 2019, fill out an application there at the show.  People who have tables tend to hang on (or want more), but openings do occur.  Sadly, this is normally because a vendor has passed away.  Wish it wasn't so, but this is the normal course of things, I suppose.  A more sporting source of turnover is rule violation: each year we catch about 15-20 people packing up early on Saturday.  Those tables become available to new folks!  

We have added a few photos from 2017 to the OVMS Facebook page:

https://tinyurl.com/SOS2017-photos

And, while we are at it - if you haven't already 'liked' and 'shared' the event, please do so!  We sincerely appreciate it.  This is very helpful for spreading the word.  The more people who know, the more people go, and the better the show is for everyone.

https://tinyurl.com/SOS2018-OVMS

Remember - wear comfortable shoes, bring as much cash as you can, stay hydrated, and plan ahead.  Give yourself plenty of time to get there, do the show, and go home.  Saving $125-$175 on a hotel room seems like a really bad bargain if you are exhausted and have an accident on the way home.  Stick around in Louisville, hang out with friends, and enjoy yourself.  We want you here for SOS 2018, AND for years to come!!

#25 36thIDAlex

36thIDAlex
  • Members
    • Member ID: 167,017
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

Will be there again for my third year. I’m a local and I can’t believe how long it took me to hear about this show! Will be looking for WWII 36th ID items, WWI 89th items, and hopefully something from the USS Tripoli for a veteran friend of mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users