Rear Admiral Ralph E Cook's WW2 Dog Tag

Ben@HI

I got a couple of WW2 dog tags locally and this one is very interesting. I believe it belonged to rear admiral Ralph Cook who lived here on Oahu till he passed in 2010 but I don't know how to find his WW2 service number so I can't be 100% sure. Here is his obituary from the Honolulu star

REAR ADMIRAL RALPH E COOK, USN, RETIRED.

Admiral Ralph Cook who passed away on Aug. 27, 2010 in Honolulu at age 94 enlisted in the US Naval Reserve in 1934. Born in Montana, he earned his degree in Electrical Engineering from Montana State College in Boseman before advancing to Radioman 3rd. Class and being commissioned to active duty in January 1941. His first duty station was to the Philippines where in 1942 he was evacuated from Corregidor to Australia on the last submarine out before the island fell to Japanese forces. He served the next 21 years as a Navy cryptologist and in 1963 was select-ed as the Director of the Naval Security Group. In 1968 he became its first Flag Officer commander. His final assignment before retiring in 1974 was as Chief, National Security Agency/CSS Pacific. The contribution of Ralph Cook and the Naval Reserve to the American Victory in the Second World War and since to the security of our country would be difficult to overstate.

Admiral Cook is survived by his beloved wife, Clara G. Cook of Honolulu and Sister Lois Saari of Washington state.

If someone could please tell me how to verify the I would appreciate it.

post-100928-0-16834600-1515978389.jpg

Thank you so much, I was pretty sure it was him but it's actually a somewhat common name. He was the only naval officer I could find that seemed to match up and having lived out here I thought it was him but I don't know how to check the service numbers.

Unfortunately no, like the other tags I picked up recently I found it in a bin a guy was selling challenge coins out of. I stopped by his spot the first time looking at his challenge coins and bought the Perry tag because of the 12/41 T shot date and I dug through the bin again a couple of days ago looking for the mate to that tag which I found but while I was looking I found this tag and the sterling tag as well. He said $10 each at first but then he said I could have all 3 for $25 so I got them. I almost didn't buy this tag because it didn't have a date. I was more interesting in the sterling tag and the other Perry tag.

Went back and got another of his tags, a ID pin and a pamphlet from a dinner he was at. This has turned into a pretty neat little grouping.

post-100928-0-74940300-1516491409.jpg

post-100928-0-25913500-1516491419.jpg

post-100928-0-10017300-1516491427.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I am Ralph Cook’s next of kin. When he passed away, his widow became paranoid. When she passed away, all of his belongings were lost since They did not have any children. I have been the family historian for many years and would love for Ralph’s things to be returned to our family. I beg of you to contact me, Ben. Please!

On 1/20/2018 at 5:37 PM, Ben@HI said:

Went back and got another of his tags, a ID pin and a pamphlet from a dinner he was at. This has turned into a pretty neat little grouping.

post-100928-0-74940300-1516491409.jpg

post-100928-0-25913500-1516491419.jpg

post-100928-0-10017300-1516491427.jpg

If any of you know the original poster on this thread, please let him know I would really like to speak with him!!