Case V42 THOUGHTS?

dskjl

Hmmm , lots of inconcistancies here but at the same time doesn't look like youre average run of the mill fake . I wouldn't want It In my collection . JMO

Hmmm , lots of inconcistancies here but at the same time doesn't look like youre average run of the mill fake . I wouldn't want It In my collection . JMO

What don't you like about it?

Thanks,

Greetings,

The "Case" logo is almost touching the last line in the thumb print (that is way too high) and there are no staples in the scabbard's throat. It is either a "rare" prototype, a Monday Morning Special, or a reproduction. Personally, I would save my funds for an example that did not possess these odd characteristics/issues.

V/r Lance

The scabbard may be from the CASE Stiletto , which was a long scabbard similar to the V42, minus the staples. Just speculating ! SKIP

For starters I don't like the way the thumbprint runs Into the logo , never seen this before , but they were Individually hand made . The grip Is too soft and the pommel finish looks off . Of course you can explain this away If you want to . The sheath Is nothing like an original , missing the staples at the throat and typically had 7 rivets on each side with a grommet at the bottom hole , different rivets ,etc. Again this Is JMO .

Skip may have a good point about the scabbard being one for a different knife. I see a lot of differences in the scabbard already mentioned as well as the keeper being attached with a different type of rivet and the snap used being of a different type than what I see on the typical scabbard.

About the knife, I agree with much that's been pointed out. I do feel that the "Case" marking looks correct.

The more I look at the knife the more I tend to feel that the knife is correct. That being said there is a bit of (explaining) that would have to go along with this piece. Not everyone would be comfortable with it.

Thanks guys, I like the knife but need to get it in hand to make my final assessment. The scabbard has had the keeper moved and if you look close at the pic you can see where it used to be. My sense of it is that is was moved because the knife it was intended for was of different dimensions so the lowered the keeper, but this is just a guess.

We will have to see once it arrives.

Thanks,

I owned a V42 once that had a smooth stacked handle.Aslo appeared to not have been blued.

The one posted I saw on ebay and its curious for sure.But as stated they were hand made and anomalies can be found.THere is some good info on them in the Allied Fighting Knives book and shows a couple early prototypes.

The tool used to cut the grooves in the blade and groove the handle was called a gimping wheel as I recall.The grooves cut in the blade can vary in count.It appears the handle had been grooved in the ebay knife but looks to be smoothed out?The grinding process may also account for the distortion of the CASE logo as it looks they either stamped it after grinding or while grinding the thimb print it got a bit close to the logo.

My knife has 21 grooves in the thumb print.

Here is one of two I own.The other is numbered and carried by a Force vet.

Not sure the pictures will help but here they are

post-342-0-56929800-1516162314_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-27022000-1516162329_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-65762200-1516162198_thumb.jpg

I'm returning this one. I have never done this before but in this case after closer inspection there are too many concerns. The pin holding the pommel in place is at 4 o'clock instead of 6 or 12. the guard is aluminum, and the blade and pommel look like they may have been re blued. It's been mentioned that it may be a prototype but i cant find anything on them. It looks really good over all and for the right collector it will be a nice addition just not for me.

Thanks for all you assistance.

From the ebay photos it appeared reblued or heated(?) to make the blueing look odd.Sometimes done with cold blue.

THe guards on these were not magnetic so either stainless or an aluminum/alloy material.I tested the one in the photo I posted and its hard to tell if magnetic due to the blade drawing the magnet but little or no magnatism of the guard.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's an original knife that has been reblued and had the handle fussed with so returned, something I have never done before.

The seller was great about it, no challenges no argument and a speedy refund.

Thanks to all for your support.

I think it's an original knife that has been reblued and had the handle fussed with so returned, something I have never done before.

The seller was great about it, no challenges no argument and a speedy refund.

Thanks to all for your support.

Glad it worked out.

I think it was good just reworked.

Had the one I posted above for sale on forum but no intrest.just going to keep it and give it to my nephew if he wants it in the future.