The (real) Great Santini.........

Retired Army Noncom

Thank you for posting and reminding me and others about this movie.

I have used clips from the movie in marriage seminars and counseling.

Spoil Alert:

From waking the kids up in the morning like they are in boot camp (running the family like the Corp), to the Father Wife Son relationship (notice how the Wife justifies the Father's behavior to the son and does not facilitate the relationship between the Father and Son).

A funny yet sad tragedy in the classic sense.

And a self disclosure. I never call a marriage seminar a marriage retreat. You never retreat. Always attack...Always attack...the problem. :D

Retired Army Noncom

Thank you for posting and reminding me and others about this movie.

I have used clips from the movie in marriage seminars and counseling.

Spoil Alert:

From waking the kids up in the morning like they are in boot camp (running the family like the Corp), to the Father Wife Son relationship (notice how the Wife justifies the Father's behavior to the son and does not facilitate the relationship between the Father and Son).

A funny yet sad tragedy in the classic sense.

And a self disclosure. I never call a marriage seminar a marriage retreat. You never retreat. Always attack...Always attack...the problem. :D

Chaplin.....there was a time, a very long time, that doesn't exist today as it once did, the attitude that was real and practiced, "if the Army wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one". Your service, the mission and your men always came first, above you AND your family, if you had one. The mother was a single parent in so many ways. The system ruled........and your career depended on that system. I feel lucky that my kids turned out the way they did. For weeks on time, they never saw me at all, it was up and gone before them and home way after they went back to bed. The Army mission came first and if anyone say that was wrong, they might be right but....they weren't there, they didn't walk in our boots.

USA (Ret)

65-85

Chaplin.....there was a time, a very long time, that doesn't exist today as it once did, the attitude that was real and practiced, "if the Army wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one". Your service, the mission and your men always came first, above you AND your family, if you had one. The mother was a single parent in so many ways. The system ruled........and your career depended on that system. I feel lucky that my kids turned out the way they did. For weeks on time, they never saw me at all, it was up and gone before them and home way after they went back to bed. The Army mission came first and if anyone say that was wrong, they might be right but....they weren't there, they didn't walk in our boots.

USA (Ret)

65-85

Well said. The spouse and the kids has always been and continues to be very strong in the military.

In the movie, after the Father dies, the Son takes on the leadership of the family. There are so many good traits from the military that can be used in the family.