Photo

D-Day Relics (Point du Hoc & Omaha Beach)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jakelives

jakelives
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 169,562
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:45 AM

A collection of pictures I took at Pointe du Hoc and Omaha Beach in Normandy on June 2, 2015. Despite the abandoned appearance there was actually quite a few people around, but once I stepped away from the waterside path and bunkers then meandered around the more distant ones they thinned. The rest was just patience and waiting for people to clear my lens.

#2 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
    • Member ID: 169,612
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Nice slideshow! It pays to be patient to get great photos. I was there in april 2015 :).

DSC_2866.jpg

Rene

#3 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Great photo journey! Well done! I've been there twice. Nice to see it again. Thanks! Bobgee

P.S. Just finished reading the 2 Volume D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

Gives a really interesting viewpoint of some of the German troops who experienced the Allied wrath raining down on them on 6 June 1944. Available on Amazon. Good historical read! Bob

Edited by bobgee, 14 January 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

Yes, just a really great, very historical site to visit. I was able to visit in 1993 and made some similar photos, but I think there are more people in my photos. Are there still the "international" symbols of a foot stepping on a mine to warn you of UXO there? If I remember correctly, inside the FO bunker, there was a bronze Tablet naming the Ranger KIA's on June 6. A recent visitor had added a wooden cross and a hand written and very touching note to his friends who didn't survive the day. I made a photo of it and have it somewhere, very touching. My wife didn't want to visit any more American Cemeteries after visiting the one in Normandy. I guess it might be interesting to note that I deployed for a year as an infantry Master Sergeant to Afghanistan in 2012. My wife wasn't thrilled about it, but did realize it was something I "had" to do! Not too sure my daughter understands why I did that and missed her High School Graduation and 1st year of collage. She probably never will, but, I came home to them pretty much un harmed.
BKW

#5 jakelives

jakelives
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 169,562
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:05 AM

Those signs are still there. I was surprised at just how much freedom I had to explore the old bunkers though, it felt like none where blocked off to keep people out.

I understand what you mean, I volunteered to go Iraq and spent most of 2008 there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users