Jump to content


Photo

1945 Willy's MB Project


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 blitz67

blitz67
  • Members
    • Member ID: 683
  • 1,248 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.S.A.

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:57 AM

That could have been welded up too, not like the old days. I had a gpw block I sold to a guy that had a crack in the same spot, but about three times longer and the metal was actually bulged out.  I saw the block a few months ago, looked perfect, the new welding methods and alloys make short work of these cracks.



#27 Willys43

Willys43
  • Members
    • Member ID: 160,757
  • 35 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Awesome progress!! Make sure to keep the thread updated.

On a side note, did you ever find a good radiator shop? I’m restoring a 42 GPW and am having trouble finding somewhere to get it looked at.

#28 tikifrei

tikifrei
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 175,558
  • 15 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA, Pennsylvania

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

A quick update.
 
I have the original dataplates  but they were a little rough, and that might be too kind.  But I really wanted to use the originals if possible.  I mean there is something about preserving the history right?
2018-03_pre-dataplate1.JPG
 
2018-03_pre-dataplate2.JPG
 
2018-03_pre-dataplate3.JPG
 
So.....I shipped them off to Robert de Ruyter in the Netherlands for his "refresh"  I am super pleased with the results.  I can't wait to get them mounted.  I mean didn't they turn out great!  What an improvement and so pleased to keep the originals with the MB.
 
2018-03_post-dataplate1.JPG


#29 pathfinder11

pathfinder11
  • Members
    • Member ID: 119,918
  • 58 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington, DC

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Huzzah on saving the original data plates! Any updates of late?



#30 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,205 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

Great results!



#31 tikifrei

tikifrei
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 175,558
  • 15 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA, Pennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

Well...been a while since I updated this thread.   I have made a bit of progress....life as it does got busy with the kids and such.  
 
So,  The front seats, fenders, grill and hood are all in primer.   
 
2018-05_Seats.jpg
 
2018-05_Hood.jpg
 
 
This weekend I picked up the frame to get started on it.  Might not have been the best way to get it home....but I made it.   :D
 
2018-06_Frame_pick_up2.JPG
 
2018-06_Frame_pick_up.JPG
 
My plans are to fix what needs to be fixed, get it sand blasted and fix anything that shows up with that, then get it primed and then hopefully over to NJ for help riveting the rear crossmember and front frame horns back on.


#32 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 6,750 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SoCal

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

Always look forward to tracking this progress!



#33 skypilot6670

skypilot6670
  • Members
    • Member ID: 137,056
  • 417 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fla.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:27 AM

Really enjoy watching these restorations. Thanks for posting. Mike

#34 tikifrei

tikifrei
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 175,558
  • 15 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

A bit more progress this weekend on the frame this weekend.   The battery tray was in bad shape, there was some bondo on it to hide all the rusted out parts.  
 
I ordered a new one and cut/ground the old out out.   The front tab is held in place by a rivet.  This rivet is not accessible.  In my obsession to keep the rivet I cut the new tray and welded it to the old tab.   It took me a while of thinking before I cut my brand new tray  lol.
 
Old Tray
2018-07_Old_Battery_Tray.JPG 
 
2018-07_Old_Battery_Tray2.JPG
 
Fitting the new tray
2018-07_Battery_Tray_Replace.JPG
 
Pretty much all done....with the tray at least   :D 
2018-07_Battery_Tray_Replace2.JPG

 

 

 
 
There were a couple of holes that looked like they were made with a torch rather than a drill.  Either way I welded them up.
 
2018-07_Frame_Repair.JPG
 
The "tabs" were cut off at some point and a big chunk of metal was welded where they used to go.  I can't for the life of me find that picture, it was impressive.  
 
No tabs
Rear_Frame_06-181.JPG
 
Making the new tabs
2018-07_Making_Frame_Tab.JPG
 
Tabs are back!
2018-07_Frame_Tab.JPG
 
I spent some time removing the old brake lines and the axle bumpers.....then Ughhh....I broke a bolt off.  Will need to work on removing that now.
 
I am hoping to get the frame sandblasted and in primer so I can get this part finished up.   I sill have quite a bit of work to do first.....it seems after reading a bit I should replace the frame, clutch and brake bushed bracket.  Might as well just do it now instead of having to do it later.   I also found that one of the spring brackets is pretty warn so likewise I will have to order a new one and replace it.



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users