• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SDC

SDC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,625
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Looking for some thoughts/recommendations on a good starter airbrush kit (including compressor). This would be used by a novice (that would be me) to build a couple 1:32 airplane models. Thanks

#2 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

For a novice, I'd recommend a single-action brush. Siphon-fed or attached cup seems like a personal preference. Maybe a brush that comes as a set with some easy change nozzles. Are you familiar with the Aztek? Could be a good way to start. Also, maybe check modeling forums like Fine Scale Modeler; tons of info and opinions on airbrushes there.
Terry

#3 SDC

SDC
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the advice. Next rookie question ... I'm thinking of using a brush and enamel for all the smaller parts and then spray acrylic on the large surfaces (fuselage and wings) which are easier to roughen up a bit for adhesion. Does this sound reasonable or will it result in a franken-model?

#4 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:53 AM

You don't need to sand parts other than where it was cut of the sprue or to make parts fit better. You will need to use primer first though before applying the topcoat. Usually it's best to pick a brand of paints and stick to that (they all have primers too), because enamel and acrylic can react to each other, and acrylics can react to each other too if they're not both based on the same solvent. You'll find out by trial & error.

As for the airbrush, I have a cheap double-action, gravity fed one with a simple compressor (no airtank) and it works fine for the occasional use.

#5 Waltz41

Waltz41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89,245
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

I bought one of these for spraying basic overcoats......for the money you can't beat it. They have one without the different needles and hose for like under $20. If you are getting started, this would be ideal.
Master Airbrush G233-SET Multi-Master Performance G233 Pro Set Dual-Action Gravity Feed Airbrush Set with 3 Nozzle Sets (0.2, 0.3 & 0.5 mm) 1/3 oz Cup & Cutaway Handle https://www.amazon.c...a_krsBAbYAS9J5D

#6 SDC

SDC
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

Thanks ... this is the very one I ordered recently and it arrived today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)