WW2 US Mortar?

27Division18

Can anyone give me info on this mortar shell that is part of this trench art lamp? Is it a WW2 US type? Part of it is wood.

post-151543-0-28464600-1515624567.jpg

post-151543-0-69146500-1515624574.jpg

The holes in the fin area are for the propellant gases to escape and the slots in the fins are for propellant increments. Pretty sure it's a mortar training round. But who's army I don't know. Maybe British. What diameter is it?

Diameter is approx. 3 inches

The holes in the fin area are for the propellant gases to escape and the slots in the fins are for propellant increments. Pretty sure it's a mortar training round. But who's army I don't know. Maybe British. What diameter is it?

Google 3" British mortar and you'll find similar rounds but not made out of wood. I only spent 15 minutes looking at mortar rounds but could have spent hours.

It's actually a fairly scarce U.S. subcaliber mortar round for the 4.2" chemical mortar. Officially, it's the shell, subcaliber, 3-inch, M5. It looks complete, as is, except for a 50cc glass ball stuck in the nose that contained FM (titanium tetrachloride).

References are kind of tough to find but it is shown in the 1945 edition of TM3-320 on the 4.2" mortar. Definitely worthy of "de-lamping" and being restored.

Thanks a lot for the ID. Could you possibly scan that page from the manual?

It's actually a fairly scarce U.S. subcaliber mortar round for the 4.2" chemical mortar. Officially, it's the shell, subcaliber, 3-inch, M5. It looks complete, as is, except for a 50cc glass ball stuck in the nose that contained FM (titanium tetrachloride).

References are kind of tough to find but it is shown in the 1945 edition of TM3-320 on the 4.2" mortar. Definitely worthy of "de-lamping" and being restored.