Picture perfect

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Have you guys ever taken a picture of one of your helmets .... it came out so good, it belongs in a book? Please post some pictures you've took that you believe are "perfect pictures". Furthermore what is your favorite angle for the m1 helmet?

Which helmet of yours is the most photogenic?

I tend to like the front / side angle -here is an example :

Posted Image

Also, here is my "perfect picture"

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good pics...! Lighting is always key. Try making a photo board background and you can get some real great shots, even indoors with artificial lighting. Regards, Chris

Taken a few days ago with the i phone X ,I like how the light captures the net. I love M1s with shot from a side profile

Great Thread Eagles

D.C

post-8861-0-52579700-1515611370_thumb.jpeg

stealthytyler

Good pics...! Lighting is always key. Try making a photo board background and you can get some real great shots, even indoors with artificial lighting. Regards, Chris

+1 on the lighting comment. It isn't all about the camera. It is mostly lighting AND the lack of lighting that makes an object shine. Try putting a large white bedsheet or white silk between the object and light to create a nice flattering soft diffused light. Or get a large white board and bounce the light into the board to cast a nice soft light on the object. Try a combination of using a silk to diffuse the light source and on the opposite side of the object use a large white board to bounce that same light source back into the object. Try placing a large soft light source directly above the object shinning down. Have the object sit on a white poster board that curves to create a white background. The light will bounce all around filling in shadows. Also, try to get low with your camera. Get the lens to be ground level or even a half of an inch below the bottom of the lid to get a nice perspective of the object. Try not to shoot wide angle. Back the camera up and zoom in so your object has a nice balanced perspective that is not skewed or bulbous. Lastly, if you can afford a camera that shoots RAW, then take advantage of creating a dynamic image in photoshop by lowering the highlights and boosting the shadows just a bit to create a nicely balanced image that does not have any blown out bright spots or crushed black shadows. The key is to play around, experiment and have fun.

The image below was shot using two soft boxes on either side of the camera and a light source just above the helmet. The camera is about 6 feet away from the helmet and just slightly lower than the object. Being lower than the helmet allows you to see a little bit of the inside of the liner which gives it a very neat look.

post-131595-0-07607500-1515611785_thumb.jpg

+1 on the lighting comment. It isn't all about the camera. It is mostly lighting AND the lack of lighting that makes an object shine. Try putting a large white bedsheet or white silk between the object and light to create a nice flattering soft diffused light. Or get a large white board and bounce the light into the board to cast a nice soft light on the object. Try a combination of using a silk to diffuse the light source and on the opposite side of the object use a large white board to bounce that same light source back into the object. Try placing a large soft light source directly above the object shinning down. Have the object sit on a white poster board that curves to create a white background. The light will bounce all around filling in shadows. Also, try to get low with your camera. Get the lens to be ground level or even a half of an inch below the bottom of the lid to get a nice perspective of the object. Try not to shoot wide angle. Back the camera up and zoom in so your object has a nice balanced perspective that is not skewed or bulbous. Lastly, if you can afford a camera that shoots RAW, then take advantage of creating a dynamic image in photoshop by lowering the highlights and boosting the shadows just a bit to create a nicely balanced image that does not have any blown out bright spots or crushed black shadows. The key is to play around, experiment and have fun.

The image below was shot using two soft boxes on either side of the camera and a light source just above the helmet. The camera is about 6 feet away from the helmet and just slightly lower than the object. Being lower than the helmet allows you to see a little bit of the inside of the liner which gives it a very neat look.

attachicon.gif PA Kurtz Gear2_1.jpg

Some excellent Info on lighting Tyler

Thanks

D.C

stealthytyler

Next time I shoot a lid I will do some behind the scenes photos. Maybe it can help someone. I look forward to seeing other photos and hearing about how people shoot their images. It is all a learning experience!

I still find that some of the filters on the smart phones these days are reallly outstanding if you dont have an SLR

They make some crisp photos that really pop

stealthytyler

I still find that some of the filters on the smart phones these days are reallly outstanding if you dont have an SLR

They make some crisp photos that really pop

Those filters are fun but I have always strived to create an image that represents what the helmet actually looks like in hand. Sometimes those filters will add too much sharpening and make the helmet look a bit more contrasty and grungy than it is in person. On the flip side, some filters will soften the image too much making it look cleaner than it is.

This picture was taken on the perfect day. Not too sunny and not to cloudy. The image resizer made the quality go down, but I think it still looks good.

post-163344-0-68075500-1515636538_thumb.jpg

Screamingeagles101

This picture was taken on the perfect day. Not too sunny and not to cloudy. The image resizer made the quality go down, but I think it still looks good.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_0757.jpg

Man,

I miss that helmet!

Kicking myself right now

Glad it went to a good home

Enjoy it!

Great pic by the way. That one was very photogenic if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-65250100-1515651984_thumb.jpg

Here is a larger version: https://i.imgur.com/J1HebeL.jpg

made this fancy setup. I like the idea but not sure about the execution. Not just meant to show the helmet, it would be too small if I were trying to. Anybody know has knowledge of how to set up a picture with ratios and whatnot have any tips?

BigDogMilitaria

Im not great with photos usually. But, i think this one came out pretty good on my back porch. Was taken mid day under the awning. The photo caught some camo that was unknown to me at the time (i had just bought it a few hours ago).

post-52765-0-60720200-1515652571_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

attachicon.gif IMG_9900.JPG

Here is a larger version: https://i.imgur.com/J1HebeL.jpg

made this fancy setup. I like the idea but not sure about the execution. Not just meant to show the helmet, it would be too small if I were trying to. Anybody know has knowledge of how to set up a picture with ratios and whatnot have any tips?

Nice setup. To answer your question, leave everything the same but bring the helmet much closer to the lens(may need a helmet stand to get it high enough in frame). This will make the helmet larger and the background will be slightly out of focus creating a nice separation.

Im not great with photos usually. But, i think this one came out pretty good on my back porch. Was taken mid day under the awning. The photo caught some camo that was unknown to me at the time (i had just bought it a few hours ago).

Love it !

Burning Hazard

I'm still working on the lighting, hard to take indoor photos of very dark helmets or helmets that have a more glossier paint.

Here is one of my white MP liners while playing around

Pat

post-8715-0-26365200-1515710214_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of ways I have photographed lids over the past 15 years or so.........

Put up a Zeltbahn and tried to photograph indoors on rainy days....

Worked pretty good....

post-5954-0-81895900-1515718445_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo board I made, worked great. Real good on German lids as they sit flat, US lids best to have a stand... Chris

post-5954-0-02420800-1515718537_thumb.jpg