True Transitional Flight Helmet

boxerdogi

Thought I would share this one. A USAAF Protective Flight Helmet Style 1. This one was made by Cairns. Arguably one of the rarest flight helmets. If anyone has one, any information or pictures...please share.

post-3075-0-26923300-1515358856.jpg

post-3075-0-71883400-1515358862.jpg

phantomfixer

amazing piece...can't imagine too many were produced, let alone survive....

and thanks for the link bluebook...good reading

That is an amazing piece. I've looked for one for many, many years. Additional photos would be greatly appreciated on my end. Thanks for posting this early transitional helmet. Gregg

Thank you for posting the additional photos. This protective early flight is just exceptional, I've never had the opportunity to see one up close and I've been collecting for a very long time. I'm surprised that there haven't been more comments posted by the forum aviation community.

Do you mind telling me how long you have owned this exceptional helmet and how you came across it? It's a real delight to see these detailed photos, thank you again.

Gregg

Fantastic helmet from the earliest jet age! Really very, very scarce to get one. I was thinking that it would be not possible!...

Franck

post-2712-0-58293500-1516123729_thumb.jpg

post-2712-0-45957700-1516123732_thumb.jpg

Great looking helmet, Cairns is a major manufacturer of Firefighter helmets to this day.

I have to admit that I did not even know this helmet existed!!

Chris

Those are great pictures Bebel! I always assumed these helmets never made it passed test pilots. Those pictures look like use it Korea.

Early days in Korea of the 334th FIS (4th FIW), I presume. Now It will be as hard to find the correct period A-13A mask as getting this helmet!

Some others very interesting pictures in this Life article. Particulary those showing that could be the "famous" P-2 helmet...

post-2712-0-67342300-1516408188_thumb.jpg

post-2712-0-25804600-1516408191_thumb.jpg

Franck

• 6 months later...

I am obsessed with this helmet. This morning I came across this photograph of Carl Bellinger, Republic Aviation Test Pilot, climbing into an AAF YP-84. Note the serial number of the aircraft: 45-59484. The helmet is the version with the air vents similar to the tanker helmet. This period of transition had to be exciting and terrifying at the same time. Gregg

post-6237-0-59727600-1534613981_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...