One of The GIs On Korean War LIFE Magazine Cover IDed

patches

We all seen this LIFE Magazine cover right., and by accident I discover the identity of one of these guys, the one on the left, the Filipino' he was a POW in WWII, AND Korea, 34th Infantry, 24th Infantry Division, captured at Taejon Jul 1950. Wow, two brutal enemies, the Japanese and the North Koreans. In the tribute, which shows him just prior to the outbreak of the war in Korea, says he only spent five months as a POW, and in China, this I gather is an error, as is the single award of the CIB depicted, this going on the assumption of course that he was in one of the Infantry Regiments (PS) of the Philippine Division and would then have one for WWII, and a 2nd Award for action in Korea. Don't really know what happened to the other two GIs in the photo, dead or POW, or made it.

post-34986-0-79564700-1515302056.jpgpost-34986-0-87666000-1515301105_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-11131000-1515301019_thumb.jpg

That is moving, Cables had it tough POW two wars.. he must have been traded for a NK POW?

Great discover way to keep his expirence alive.

Got info that he was indeed Infantry in 1941, Anti Tank Company, 45th Infantry (PS), Philippine Division, so he would be a 2 Award recipient of the Combat Infantryman's Badge. Still waiting for info on his POW status.

That is moving, Cables had it tough POW two wars.. he must have been traded for a NK POW?

Great discover way to keep his expirence alive.

Yes indeed, was similar to this GI in this topic I posted a ways back, though in this case, he wasn't under the tender care of the Japanese, but the Germans, where they treated our boys a little better, by the Geneva Code.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/219314-two-war-pow-survived-captivity-in-one-died-in-the-other/