1855 CW bayonet I.C. marked Inspected and Condemned

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

Here is an 1855 Type I Civil War bayonet. It is unusual because of the “I.C.” above the U-S mark. I looked for information about this mark, starting with a Civil War Forum I sometimes frequent. I hope this information is not too tedious.

Although there are still questions to be answered, I found this information very interesting.

The online military antique store from which I bought this bayonet, billed it as an “Invalid Corps” bayonet. I had not heard of the Invalid Corps before (google it), but soon found out that in the unanimous opinion of the forum, this bayonet had nothing to do with the Invalid Corps. I emailed the company and they said they had seen an article a while back that chronicled Invalid Corps marked items. They could not locate the article, but said they thought it appeared in “Man of War”.

Most of the Civil War forum members said the “I.C.” stood for “Inspected and Condemned”. Still very interesting. Then a forum member found a picture of an 1863 rifle for sale (sold quite a while ago) that had what appeared to be the very same stamp perhaps made with the very same die.

The rifle description included this, from Flayderman’s: Rifled percussion musket, Model 1861 Massachusetts contract, Norris & Clement, configured with Model 1863 modifications, 1863, .58cal.
Springfield Armory supervised the manufacturing and distribution of the Model 1861 muskets. In order to fulfill shortages, production was subcontracted to a number of private manufacturers. This contract was issued for the state of Massachusetts as a Regulation 1861 contract, however, production did not conform to any of the 1861 contracts. S. Norris and W.T. Clement, of Springfield Massachusetts manufactured 11,000 muskets in 1863 and 1864 and incorporated the improvements of the Model 1863 system. Lock is marked "1863" behind the hammer, with eagle over "US" and "S.N. & W.T.C. / FOR / MASSACHUSETTS" in front, flat bolster with eagle. Barrel is marked "VP" over eagle head, (date). Buttplate is marked "US". Three bands each marked "U". Inspector cartouches on wood opposite the lock are indicative of government inspection, but under contract for Massachusetts. Some parts are marked "IC", which is "inspected and condemned". Many barrels condemned for the Springfield contract were used for this Massachusetts contract. Barrel length 40in.
Ref: Flayderman 9A-331.

A CW forum member said this:

Just a few things I've picked up over the years on SN&WTC muskets.
The contracts were literally for the State of Mass. and no one else.
The "I.C." does in fact stand for "Inspected & Condemned". But, these marks are post Civil War, and were done when Mass. was condemning their muzzle loading muskets in order to get new breech loading arms from the Federal Gov't. This was based on the Militia Act of 1808.

As you compare the pictures of the bayonet and the top flat of the rifle barrel, you can see the “broken “C” found in each photo. I looks to me like the same die was used to mark the rifle and the bayonet which could mean that this rifle and this bayonet might very well be from the same Mass. Contract.

A couple of CW forum members related information that Eli Whitney had a business of buying “war surplus” rifles which often had been condemned. He sold "good and serviceable arms not subject to inspection by gauges". He complained to the gov’t that the “condemned” mark was too large and too visible. He wanted the mark to be smaller and in a more inconspicuous place.

This I.C. mark also identified the weapon as surplus, so there would be no accusation of it being stolen from the gov’t.

Another comment was that the “Inspected and Condemned” mark was put on post Civil War rifles and sold to European Countries, like France in the Franco Prussian War.

Some of this information may seen contradictory, but may indeed be correct given differing situations.

Does anyone have any additional information or comments about I.C. marked bayonets”

Sorry for the length of this post, but thought it might be interesting to someone.

Thanks

Marv

post-26996-0-19879500-1515218100_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-03354400-1515218120.jpg

post-26996-0-49456800-1515218134_thumb.jpg