Ebay medic helmet

lugi45

The pinned thread for Medic helmets has #27 from back in '08 or '09 that Steve had posted.

The helmet in question is good & if I were looking for a medic helmet I wouldn't be afraid to bid on it.

Alot of helmets posted on this forum to use for research and examples to study so that we all can learn from.

stealthytyler

So none of these helmets are named? The one for sale and the one in dskjl collection? They both have a number on the front brim. Sounds like these were not issued to an individual...possibly used by multiple people in a group?

Beau-Brummel

What Scott said!

It amazes me the amount of posturing and navel gazing that gos on when a piece screams good. I seriously wonder about some peoples credentials, especially those that feel the need to list them!

What Scott said!

It amazes me the amount of posturing and navel gazing that gos on when a piece screams good. I seriously wonder about some peoples credentials, especially those that feel the need to list them!

+1

I wonder how the helmet ended up in a local auction near the seller?

I can't imagine that the seller paid much for it noting their level of expertise.

That's what I would like to know.

That's what's really strange here.

Am I missing something?

How is this helmet bid up to $2K already with those crappy photos?

Like has been stated, how can you authenticate whether it is a true Medic lid with the ebay photos?

Because this parricular kind of marking is well known - a few of these were already circulating some ten years ago or so.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Because this parricular kind of marking is well known - a few of these were already circulating some ten years ago or so.

Plenty of time to find out about them online and make a fake? ( Just being the devil's advocate, I think this on could be good).

I think many here are afraid to put the okey dokey on this one for fear that if it is fake, they will look stupid. So, I'll say it: I have no doubt that it's good and will be a fine addition to any collection.

They are all nearly identical, i.e., aged together and discovered together. Pretty much like the medic battalion helmets I posted about a while ago.

Plenty of time to find out about them online and make a fake? ( Just being the devil's advocate, I think this on could be good).

Would love to see some real close ups of the helmet if someone here gets it...........? Post it up if you get it guys and I will eat my doubts, maybe my shorts, if you prove it to me........ Of course "in hand" is the best judgment of all so no matter what anybody else says........ In hand, the smell, the feel, the way the paint and patina sits on the helmet, under the loop, and studying it for hours, days, under the loop, is your ultimate judge. Regards, Chris

Would love to see some real close ups of the helmet if someone here gets it...........? Post it up if you get it guys and I will eat my doubts, maybe my shorts, if you prove it to me........ Of course "in hand" is the best judgment of all so no matter what anybody else says........ In hand, the smell, the feel, the way the paint and patina sits on the helmet, under the loop, and studying it for hours, days, under the loop, is your ultimate judge. Regards, Chris

Chris, can you start a separate thread and show us all some your US helmets so that we may all learn what to look for when buying our next helmet to add to our collection. I'm always looking for examples to study. Thanks in advance. jason

Thats a double edge sword right there.

Ray

Chris, can you start a separate thread and show us all some your US helmets so that we may all learn what to look for when buying our next helmet to add to our collection. I'm always looking for examples to study. Thanks in advance. jason

Hello, I was thinking exactly the same. A 40 year collection must be impressive, It would be great to start a separate thread to show us your collection. Are some of the helmets already posted on this forum ?

Hello, I was thinking exactly the same. A 40 year collection must be impressive, It would be great to start a separate thread to show us your collection. Are some of the helmets already posted on this forum ?

+1 cant wait to see em

MANY WILL...

Many more won't. Many of the truly experienced, long time collectors have grown weary of the "book smart" collectors degrading helmets they know nothing about.

How about we push the "reset" button here guys and not be so hostile and I will check my attitude. Group hug as they say....! Did not want to ruffle feathers and sound like a know it all but just like I said I have been collecting for about 40 years now and have seen a few things. A few weeks ago I was selling a helmet on Ebay and it ended up here and the buyer was asking questions. Now that is a good thing and I don't mind at all but somebody dropped into the thread and stated it was post WW2 (the cover, 1st pattern USMC) which I found ridiculous and took offense. Also this could potentially kill a sale that is perfectly legitimate and honest. You all here will ensure that and I welcome your informed collective input. Normally I would not take too much offense at somebody, who I believe is uninformed, killing a sale but I was in the process of unloading several nice helmets from my collection, USMC covered, an SS lid, and two German Camo's, due to the fact I got laid off on November 1st of last year after 18 years of employment and needed to keep my bills paid.

Now, with many of the responses from people who sound like they know their stuff here in this thread, people like ccmax, sgtdorango, Bugme, Costa, etc. some of whom I have known of on other forums and for years, if not decades, I am feeling better about this medic helmet. And dskjl (sorry, don't know your name) has showed great pictures and gave provenance to his lid and possibly this one.

As for posting up some lids I will do that for sure... I think I had done so here before but it looks like a lot of threads I started a long time ago have gone missing....? Now back to this helmet in question, the Medic, I like it a bit more everyday. Would I pay that much....? Not right now as I am out of work and trying not to buy anything but food, gas, and my 20 year old daughter's very expensive college tuition..!

Regards, Chris