Ebay medic helmet

lugi45

Burning Hazard

I think the helmet has potential but I'm also hesitant due to the poor photos. I would love to hold it in hand to see the details.

Also just for kicks, if we're talking science and artificial ageing, I'm a chemist by trade and worked as a corrosion chemist for an oil & gas company for a few years. It was my job to literally corrode metal in different ways to match field conditions; I know some techniques that don't even require acid washes, but good lord I promised never to use it for evil purposes like faking helmets.

He was simply stating that he has a degree and works in a laboratory and has experience with chemicals. Geologists sometimes have backgrounds in physics, chemistry, biology, and other sciences. I didn't think he was being rude or arrogant or superior at all. He was simply stating his opinion as everyone has been doing... I appreciate all the opinions provided on this post and appreciate learning from people more knowledgeable in this than I am. That being said, can we keep it friendly please?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, sorry if I have come off as a know it all to some but I have just been collecting for about 40 years now and have seen more than a few things over the years that make me distrustful of certain sellers, geographically speaking. I know I have mentioned fakers of Latvian, Eastern European, and or Russian origin but that is just my experience in the German Helmet collecting arena....... Lots here in the US too.... I have a great list of them on my ebay sellers list... Just too many experiences and attempt upon myself to rip me off from some certain sellers who happen to reside in certain places.... Not to mention the "missing" packages to Italy and France.... Somehow the helmet got lost in the mail and you are out of your money.... Yes, not all of them are bad but I have just run across a good many that are always trying to rip people off.... And they all have several Ebay identities........ Anyway, we are all here for the same reason, we love collecting helmets and especially US lids....! My judgement on the helmet is question is that I think it is faked. Can I be wrong, most definitely...! Have I been wrong in the past...? Many times. Have I ever bought a fake helmet..? Yes I have...! But not for many years now.... Lessons learned, most definitely. I hope that whom ever ends up with this helmet can show us some close ups of the lid, great, detailed pictures would really tell us a lot. And, the ultimate judgment is when you have it in hand. This is the real test, smell, feel, detail, under the loop, what do you see...? Does everything match, is there that patina and fine dust where it should be.. The smell of "age". Has the paint aged, cracked, yellowed, settled over time, chemically changed over time, as it should....? I hope it is the real deal for whomever pays that much for it. Regards, Chris

Is it me or is that a Navy corpsman helmet and the liner is stenciled with a unis marking (faint). I have a Navy corpsman helmet with the yellow or cream circles on the side. No red Cross however I'm an sure there we're variations. I like it to.

I talked to Dave and there were actually only 3 of them, they came out of the Aleutians as stated. I have not had this particular helmet in my hands but would be surprised if this one was bad. I own number 33 and believe this one is right as rain, somebody is going to get really cool lid.

One ended up in Canada and one stayed in AK and the other Dave was unaware of it whereabouts.

I talked to Dave and there were actually only 3 of them, they came out of the Aleutians as stated. I have not had this particular helmet in my hands but would be surprised if this one was bad. I own number 33 and believe this one is right as rain, somebody is going to get really cool lid.

One ended up in Canada and one stayed in AK and the other Dave was unaware of it whereabouts.

Any more pics of the lids or thread you can link us too, history on this found lot...? I'd love to be wrong, very wrong on this one and see more facts, details, up close shots of the cross and rust, rim shots, interior details, up close pictures stuff, etc. Regards, Chris

Any more pics of the lids or thread you can link us too, history on this found lot...? I'd love to be wrong, very wrong on this one and see more facts, details, up close shots of the cross and rust, rim shots, interior details, up close pictures stuff, etc. Regards, Chris

I will take pics of mine later this eve.

I agree, you really have to try, and try hard to take a bad picture now a days..! This is a big warning sign. And I must qualify, I have seen a few bad pics, fuzzy, dark, low light and the helmet actually turns out to be good. Ebay history of the seller is important. If you see lots of militaria, especially helmets, beware if only the pics of the high dollar helmet are fuzzy and not the rest of their stuff they have for sale or have sold in the past. I actually found a great camo german helmet once that had super bad pics but the seller had all bad pics and had only one helmet and never sold any military before in their history. Took a chance, risked $700 but it turned out to be a $2K helmet when I got it. This medic could be the same but I would not risk $2K+ to find out. Regards, Chris

Ha! I am living proof that unintentionally bad photography is alive and well in 2018. It doesn't take hard work on my part to take a lousy picture. It just comes naturally.

Mikie

It should be noted, that these popped up in the early 90's. If you travel to Aleutains today you can still see coastal artilary guns, the remains of a Japanese sub, huts, bunkers, and still washing up on shores an ocational artifact from WWII.

On Unalaska the clinic sits on top of a WWII dump site, there are all kinds a vehicles, building materials etc... buried there that occasional surface.

Lots of history there and weather that unearths it occasionally, and very few people there to collect and or claim it.

Excellent pictures, your pics are way better than that ebay add for the other one. Looks pretty good...! Real close ups of the helmet would be very cool as your time permits...? Paint, cross, patina, top, circle, rim, whatever you think could tell us more. Did it come with a liner...? Regards, Chris

1972firebird

I like it, when i compare the panels on both helmets I can see similiarities between them. When I looked at the sellers other items my opinion was that the photos were also not so great. The lighting seemed to be similiar in alot of the listings. That being said I believe its good, but wouldnt touch it until I saw more clear photos.

Some of my pictures look like this (or worse) and it's because it was raining or at night and I took the pictures inside. A lot of cheaper and older cameras seem to have this issue with auto focus messing up in low or artificial light.

sides

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_1649.JPG

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_1651.jpg

Thanks for posting these! Extremely similar to the one for sale. I see what you mean now about them being done the same way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had requested better photos.

The seller then posted a couple in another auction.

I tried to get him to email or text me better photos but he said he didn't have text access and these were the best he could do with his camera.

These photos are a little better but still not good enough IMHO.

Here you go.

post-63438-0-75643500-1515421102.jpg

post-63438-0-12484000-1515421107.jpg

post-63438-0-35203600-1515421111.jpg

I have considered bidding but the really poor quality of the photos makes me hesitant.

Also, I don't understand why these photos are so poor.

When you look at his other auctions, the photos seem to be better quality.

Also, unable to text photos??

Really??

I have considered bidding but the really poor quality of the photos makes me hesitant.

Also, I don't understand why these photos are so poor.

When you look at his other auctions, the photos seem to be better quality.

Also, unable to text photos??

Really??

Maybe the seller can give you the heat stamp lot number, the other two I am aware of have similar numbers, it does confirm the legitimacy ( although I think it's good) but it might help.

that's the best he can due but look at this closeup of an item he has for sale

does have a 14 day return policy - maybe worth the gamble? lose 28.75 is shipping to get the helmet and shipping back

post-80886-0-70829400-1515422940_thumb.jpg

Maybe these are crappy photo's, maybe he did it on purpose, maybe it is a fake and he is trying to conceal that fact, maybe he just took bad photo's and this one is 100% legit(which I think it is), you guys can speculate all day and try being a detective but honestly, all the concern gets wiped out with this little thing called: PayPal Purchase Protection. Because the PPP, doesn't concern itself with "Maybe's", they just side with the buyer.

This person is a picker who hasn't been in the business for very long.

Many of their prices are so off it's laughable.

They are the type of person who probably is on their phone at an estate sale looking things up because they don't know what they are looking at.

They use the same bad artificial light for all their pictures.

So not all their pictures come out.

See how yellow all their pictures are, bad lighting too dark.

This person has no idea if this helmet is right or not.