Ebay medic helmet

lugi45

Anyone seen this one? What do you think about it? It's at $2000 now with 25 bids. I was gonna throw a bid on it when it was way cheaper but I wouldn't have won anyway!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/US-M1-HELMET-EARLY-FIXED-BALES-PAINTED-3-PANEL-RED-CROSS-MEDIC-U-S-ARMY-MED-USA/222780066804?hash=item33deba0bf4:g:aIwAAOSwEZdaTBWd

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Based on these pictures I don't doubt the shell and liner as such. However in my opinion the pictures are too bad to judge the paintwork. I would certainly want better pics of the front red cross where it is damaged but best would be to have it in hand.

just my 2cts.

Rene

Am I missing something?

How is this helmet bid up to $2K already with those crappy photos?

Like has been stated, how can you authenticate whether it is a true Medic lid with the ebay photos?

stealthytyler

Bid, win, figure it out later, make an excuse and send it back if it is not legit...... im sure thats what a lot of folks do? No, I do not do this.

Burning Hazard

Seeing the sellers description along with other items for sale indicates to me that they are not militaria collectors; other items are mostly household antiques with similar poor photos.

Wish I can hold this one in hand or get better photos, could be the real deal.

Pat

I like it. At first glance there's lots of natural wear that would be really hard to replicate. Could be wrong but I'm getting a fuzzy feeling looking at this one. Jealous of whoever is taking this home.

My stink meter says no, no way, sorry. White paint would have more yellowing by now and not outright rust, new rust, especially in the white zones. I think this one has been done up, aged with chemicals to enhance the rust. Pictures are just fuzzy enough to make you think it could be good but no fine detail shots, close ups of the patina. I'd say who ever did up this helmet is an average faker, better than most, but not that good, there are better out there. The best you can't tell and they fool a lot of people. Could I be wrong, yes. I'd have to see detailed close ups of the patina and ageing. And the front cross "dings" are just too contrived, and no "hits" in the white or OD part of the shell. And I know my chemicals and ageing techniques... I have a degree in science (Geology) and I have worked in a lab these last 30 years. You can do wonders with phosphoric acid washes, sulphuric baths, acetic acid washes, Caustic baths... It's a wonder what you can do with greasy and rusted auto parts on the midnight shift in the lab....! I am also a scale modeler of 1/35 tanks and 1/32 and 1/48 aircraft....... I do know how to "weather" and "age" things chemically and with paints, pastels, charcoal, water colors, dust, fireplace ash and a little satin set or dull set spray paint..... Then there is the cooking in the oven later.... Oh, and you could always bury it in the garden for 6 months......... I say beware and stay far away from this helmet. Just my 2 cents. Regards, Chris

This helmets looks to be part of the same group of 5 or 6 that came out of the Aleutian Islands and at least one of them has been posted on the forum in the past. These have also been published although mistakenly referred to as airborne they are actually WWII USCG beach or landing party helmets. They were retrieved from a base on in the islands by a collector acquaintance of mine. Another none corpsman/medic variety was posted on the forum not to long ago by an Alaskan collector member here with the same cream/off-white circle.

I cant remember the name of the helmet book but it has a pic of a soldier on the cover with doily used as a netting if i recall correctly..

The listing looks like a gem to me. and 2k seems like a steal given how rare a lid this one most certainly must be.

I thought it looked pretty good, but I'm still on the fence about it. I may be wrong but the yellow circles wouldn't be considered "panels" would they? It says it's a 3 panel. I only see 2 medic panels and one has different wear than the other. The pictures are too fuzzy. And some corners of the crosses look like a stencil lifted and spray paint got under there causing them to look kind of oversprayed, while other corners look sharp. Some of the rust does look pretty fresh. I'm not buying it so hopefully it's legit for whoever gets it. $2000 is too much for the uncertainty.

They were all stenciled and all varied in the quality of the paint job but the tell tail signs are all there, Stencil, cream or off-white circle and the painted numbers on the front lip.

I have no doubts about this helmet, i don't usually take a firm stance on these sorts of things but in this case, i believe it is right as rain.

They were all stenciled and all varied in the quality of the paint job but the tell tail signs are all there, Stencil, cream or off-white circle and the painted numbers on the front lip.

I have no doubts about this helmet, i don't usually take a firm stance on these sorts of things but in this case, i believe it is right as rain. 

You replied as I was typing so I didn't see your post until after I posted. How long ago was it that these were discovered?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It's 2018, no camera is this bad, I looked at a few of the sellers other auctions and they look better quality to me. It could be correct, but whenever I see such low quality photos I worry the seller is trying to prevent people from inspecting the small details.

You replied as I was typing so I didn't see your post until after I posted. How long ago was it that these were discovered?

I'm not sure but i will ask Dave and post his reply.

Are you saying you're a faker?

Thanks for that... What I said above about chemicals, auto parts, acid and base washes on metals, a lot of these effects can be duplicated. Also, as a scale modeler you get really good at washes and ageing to make your models look battle worn, dirt on tank tracks, oil leaks on aircraft, pastels, water colors, ground up charcoal, ash in crevices and low points. Simply saying I can spot the same techniques I use on models on a helmet sometimes. There are some very good faked German helmets out there as you might know. I am aware of two "helmet restorers" who are the best at what they do. I believe they both have degrees in art and are well educated in the use of chemicals. Many of their "restored" helmets are proudly sitting on shelves of collectors who think they are real. Regards, Chris

It's 2018, no camera is this bad, I looked at a few of the sellers other auctions and they look better quality to me. It could be correct, but whenever I see such low quality photos I worry the seller is trying to prevent people from inspecting the small details.

I agree, you really have to try, and try hard to take a bad picture now a days..! This is a big warning sign. And I must qualify, I have seen a few bad pics, fuzzy, dark, low light and the helmet actually turns out to be good. Ebay history of the seller is important. If you see lots of militaria, especially helmets, beware if only the pics of the high dollar helmet are fuzzy and not the rest of their stuff they have for sale or have sold in the past. I actually found a great camo german helmet once that had super bad pics but the seller had all bad pics and had only one helmet and never sold any military before in their history. Took a chance, risked $700 but it turned out to be a $2K helmet when I got it. This medic could be the same but I would not risk $2K+ to find out. Regards, Chris

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Are you saying you're a faker?

I know everybody is on edge because of Jkash but there is no reason to accuse somebody of being one just because they know some techniques that could be used to fake aged paint. That's how witch hunts start.

I know everybody is on edge because of Jkash but there is no reason to accuse somebody of being one just because they know some techniques that could be used to fake aged paint. That's how witch hunts start.

+1

It was tongue in cheek and has nothing to do with Jkash or witch hunts. The problem is that he portrays a false sense of superiority. His degree in geology means nothing to this discussion, we are not discussing rocks or the four layers of the earth and he wants to impress folks that he is a scientist. yet his statement on yellowing of paint is incorrect. And then we could ask him about his derogatory: "He's just a Greek" statement made previously in another post.

Scott

It was tongue in cheek and has nothing to do with Jkash or witch hunts. The problem is that he portrays a false sense of superiority. His degree in geology means nothing to this discussion, we are not discussing rocks or the four layers of the earth and he wants to impress folks that he is a scientist. yet his statement on yellowing of paint is incorrect. And then we could ask him about his derogatory: "He's just a Greek" statement made previously in another post.

He was simply stating that he has a degree and works in a laboratory and has experience with chemicals. Geologists sometimes have backgrounds in physics, chemistry, biology, and other sciences. I didn't think he was being rude or arrogant or superior at all. He was simply stating his opinion as everyone has been doing... I appreciate all the opinions provided on this post and appreciate learning from people more knowledgeable in this than I am. That being said, can we keep it friendly please?