WW2 Army Officer Greens jack ID needed

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Took my daughter on a quick over night trip to San Fran.

Saw this WW2 Army greens officers jacket in a vintage clothing store. Price $125. Too pricey for me, but it is named.

Can anyone ID this officer? LT. J.W. SKIDGELL , O-663672

Thought it would be interesting to see who this officer was.

post-9131-0-87166000-1515023462_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

Looks like he may have been John Wadsworth Skidgell, who was KIA on April 29, 1944.

I did not double check the register for the number, but a quick check of find a grave brought it up.

huntssurplus

Would the jacket be worth this much because of it belonging to a KIA? I know you should buy the item not the story, but still.

Hunt

Would the jacket be worth this much because of it belonging to a KIA? I know you should buy the item not the story, but still.

Hunt

Tough question given the missing belt and no remaining insignia although, that particular item is ALL story and you know it's true! I think I'd make them an offer and see whats the best cash deal they'd consider. You might be surprised if you go in with a fifty dollar bill and lament the missing belt and insignia. Cash talks!

In this case with the solid ID named jacket to a KIA AAF officer, that is provenance not a story.

Rock solid provenance will add value to the jacket.

Great find and wonderful restoration project.

Save this hero.

easterneagle87

Well, All of your efforts are totally incredible. Thank you for finding out about this officer. I would've loved to grab this jacket, but I am over 3 hours away now. This jacket is in an "upscale" vintage clothing shop in San Fran (Height-Ashbury district, see attached card). The shop is run by a lady (and she is a piece of work) who really will not negotiate a price. I agree with Jumping Jack, who I have respect for, BUT.. I think we remember the good ole days too much when the price(s) of things were much more reasonable. As collectors and historians (keepers of the heritage) we see what items buy and sell for, we are the exception and not the norm any more.

Sellers these days want big bucks for the "authentic" WW2 items and are not going to let things go for cheap (especially in the Bay area). If it had been $25, it would've been in the car. Now with known history (thank you very much!!) even $50 would have been reasonable. It's like puppies at the pound, I want to take them all home, then reality sets in. And yes it is depressing.

I do appreciate the efforts and I'll give a big "shout out" to the forum and its' members who give information so openly and freely.

If someone swings by and actually does acquire this jacket, please post its' progress of restoration.

Happy hunting in 2018!!

Ben

post-9131-0-68888100-1515283860_thumb.jpg