• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tredhed2

tredhed2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 622
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

An article was pubbed in the most recent Cherokee Phoenix newspaper, the newspaper of the Cherokee Nation.

Many of you, especially current and former Marines, are aware of the Navajo "Code Talkers" used by the USMC during WW II. Well, they were not the first. Choctaw, Comanches, Osage, Standing Rock Sioux, and Eastern Band Cherokee were used to handle radio transmissions during WW I. Drove the Germans nuts. American Indians were not even citizens at the time (citizenship did not come until 1924).

A new exhibit has opened up at the University of Arkansas, Little Rock campus.

The article gives very little information as to what exactly the exhibit entails, but from the two photos pubbed along with the article, it appears to be images with extensive captions. I do know that many of the code talkers served in both the 36th and 90th Divisions, and they may have been in other units.

The exhibit runs thru 2 Feb 2018, and is located in the Sequoyah National Research Center, UALR, 5820 Asher Ave, Suite 500, Little Rock AR.

Edited by tredhed2, 03 January 2018 - 03:33 PM.

#2 aznation

aznation
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97,747
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the information tredhed2. 

This Facebook page contains a lot of information about WW1 Native American soldiers and code talkers.  It's an excellent site and very interesting to look through.

https://www.facebook...canWarriorsWWI/

#3 Squeaker

Squeaker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 113,106
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

I would like to encourage anyone in or going to the LR area to go see the exhibit. There isn't much in the way of artifacts, but they do have info on the men AND the tribes. They are still in the process of researching where a lot of the men ended up after the war as well.

They are hoping to make it a traveling exhibit in the future. It isn't a real big show space, but it's the perfect size to travel around and set up in different communities. I set out to take some pics, but there is a big "no photographs" sign outside the room.

Anyone interested in Native American history in general should also visit the center if they get a chance. They have a ton of research material.

Website for anyone that'd like to learn more about the center.
http://ualr.edu/sequoyah/

Edited by Squeaker, 19 January 2018 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users