Weapons Department - Keflavik Iceland Patch

hzamar

Does anyone have any information on this patch? It is 6 inches across, flat edge and not computer generated sewing. The subgun is probably a Thompson which might give some idea of a timeframe but it doesn't seem like a WWII patch with the types of heavy ordnance depicted. It came from the estate of a USAF officer but I don't have any more information than that. I'm not a patch guy and it will eventually get sold but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it.

Thanks,
Herb

post-3742-0-63925100-1514743901_thumb.jpg

Not a WW II patch....look at all the missile ordnance on it.

If you google US Navy Weapons Dept, Keflavik, Iceland you will find the US Navy had an installation at that civilian airport.

Salvage Sailor

Aye,

NAS Keflavik, Iceland (NASKEF) It was the weigh station for the Atlantic Fleet and STANAVFORLANT when transiting to the North Sea and Arctic Circle. We would anchor at Reykjavik and then catch the Navy bus to NASKEF to resupply and drink (cheaply) in the clubs. It was also where the Naval Magazine was in Iceland during the Cold War. The USAF also used the base as a patrol station along with the PATRON Detachments so it makes sense that an Air Force officer would pick up the patch there. Patch looks like 1960's or 1970's

Photo: USS LUCE (DDG-38) STANAVFORLANT Flagship at anchor, Reykjavik Iceland 1979. Photo shot from our whaleboat as we headed to the pier in town.

NAVSTA ICELAND 001.jpg

Luce at anchor, Stanavforlant 79.jpg

It looks a lot like the patches we had made for our deployment in 1999/2000. The base in Keflavik closed in 2006, so I've got a hunch this dates from the 90s.