Colonel Harold E. Potter’s 1938 Full Dress Uniform

Jamecharles

Hello Everybody,

first of all have a nice holiday season to you and your family!
Secondone I've recently bought this amazing lot of Colonel Harold E. Potter, I'm still looking for some photos or more infos about his career, due to his amazing ribbon set should had a great career since ww1.

Any further infos about him will be really appreciated:

Colonel Harold Edward Potter (0-8013) was born in Illinois in 1890. He entered service in the U.S. Army through the Officer’s Reserve Course, and began his active duty on August 15, 1917.

The uniform is in excellent condition, made by H.L. Abrahams, Brooklyn, NY, the cap was purchase from Isenberg, Inc., New Haven, Conn. Just a few smudges, on the white wool of the trouser stripes, I don’t notice any damage due to moth. The cap has some slight wear on the crown, and the back of the crown and underneath there was a mouse chew that was restored. The blue silk banding on the cap is a vibrant Prussian blue, not the regulation sky or light blue. The cap side buttons are unique in that I have never seen a two piece button of these era, made of a flat plate with applied Army eagle device. A great looking set.

He was a veteran of WWI having served in one campaign. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant and captain, Army of the US by May19, 1919, while in occupation duty.

His regular army rank dates as follows; 1st Lt. Inf., 1920, Capt. Inf., 1920, Major Inf., 1935, Lt. Col. Inf., Aug. 1940, and Col. Inf, March 1948.

From the ribbon bars on the uniform, I can only conclude that he must have served in a staff position to have been awarded this array of Foreign decoration. His ribbon bar consists of the following (left to right, top to bottom): Legion of Merit (OLC), Bronze Star Medal, WWI Victory Medal (1 campaign star), Army of Occupation (WWI), American Defense Medal, American Campaign Medal, European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (one campaign), WWII Victory Medal, WWII Army of Occupation, Dutch Order of Nassau,(officer), Belgium Order of Leopold (officer), [Montenegro Order of Danilo I ?], Luxembourg Order of the Oak Crown (officer), French Legion of Honor, French Croix de Guerre, Czech War Cross.

Potter was a graduate of the Infantry School, Company Officer Course, 1930.

post-770-0-88283400-1514669505_thumb.jpg

post-770-0-77290100-1514669540.jpg

CNY Militaria

I saw that one on ebay a while back, I loved the ribbon bar. At the time I found some research on him, let me see if I can relocate it.

CNY Militaria

Prior to 1945, he was Asst. Commandant at the Infantry School at Fort Benning. He went overseas toward the end of the War.

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 5.06.26 PM.png

Hello mr Jamecharles,

Indeed Col Potter received a Commander grade of the Dutch Order of Oranje Nassau (and not the lower Officer grade).

How ever, the Commander version you bought is the civilian version with oak leaves between the arms of the cross.

He most probably received the Military class version of this Order. They have swords between the arms of the cross instead off oakleaves. I enclose a picture of a Commanders grade version, Military division.

Regards

Herman

post-104867-0-89697000-1515016292.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just came upon your posting from 2017 regarding Col. Potter’s uniform. Potter and his wife retired to the Aldie Mill House in Aldie VA which is where I live and have been researching it’s history. Potter was friends with President Eisenhower and in his retirement would visit the Potters and play bridge. The postmaster recalls these visits and would go fishing with their driver.  If you have gathered more information on Potter I’d love to see what you have. It’s another bit of interesting military history for this house that also witnessed the Civil war Battle of Aldie. I’ve dug up a number of military artifacts inside and around the house. 

Thanks

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...