Bring back crate shipped home by US navy vet

chils123

I picked this up at a show about 45 minutes east of Buffalo back in February 2017. The crate is very nice as the name on the address on it matches the bring back papers, though unfortunately there is no serial number listed for the rifle on the paper. In theory any rifle could have been added to this set, but the person I bought it from is a trustworthy type, so I feel comfortable with it. The crate also has alot of postal tags on it, with one declaring the value of the contents at $25.

The vet was a Buffalo, NY native who served on the USS Celburne (APA-73), a Gilliam-class attack transport which was commissioned in December 1944. According to online sources, late in the war the USS Cleburne:

“sailed from San Francisco 28 June to transfer troops in the western Pacific, calling at Eniwetok, Guam, Ulithi, Okinawa, ports in the Philippines, and Jinsen, Korea, before she arrived at Portland, Oreg., from the Far East 13 November. On 7 December she sailed to carry men to Shanghai and Tsingtao, China, returning to San Francisco 13 February 1946”.

It's surprising how many of these sets turn up, but it seems many service men shipped these home and never tossed the crate afterwards, which really helps preserve and important part of history.

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1404.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1409.jpg
IMG_1411.jpg
IMG_1412.jpg
USS_Cleburne_APA-73.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Chils123. Thanks for sharing some of your great bring back pieces. That is mostly all that I collect....souvenirs with that strong vet connection. I also have a small collection of ship home boxes that were empty and a ton of capture papers. Keep posting if you have more!

Paul

PS: Check out Bill Shea's new book series The Makings of a Collectorholic. Many of the pieces have vet provenance. Bill used many of my original photos of GI's proudly showing off their souvenirs as well.

Hey Chils123. Thanks for sharing some of your great bring back pieces. That is mostly all that I collect....souvenirs with that strong vet connection. I also have a small collection of ship home boxes that were empty and a ton of capture papers. Keep posting if you have more!

Paul

PS: Check out Bill Shea's new book series The Makings of a Collectorholic. Many of the pieces have vet provenance. Bill used many of my original photos of GI's proudly showing off their souvenirs as well.

Thank you! I focus mostly on Japanese items these days, and I stumbled upon this forum and this particular section. I had the day off yesterday and spent half the night reading through the entire thing, haha! Always love to read about these types of items. Whenever I purchase a new item I try to find as much as I can about the vet if it's still possible.

I have never heard of that series before, but I will be looking into it! Read the "Veteran Bring Backs" series of books by Ed Tinker is what really made me want to find one of these crated rifles. This one I just lucked upon at one of the smallest shows in my area. I managed to find one more this year, which was also a NYS marked box, but on the opposite side in Long Island, haha!

I have a few more with some veteran history I'll post, but they aren't as completely documented as some of these rifles and other items I have are.

Chils123, I'm guessing your not far from me. I'm in the Rochester area and I see several members here are from Western NY. I'm also into Pacific theater items as my Dad was there in WW2. I got lucky once and got a good group of Japanese items from a vet but no shipping box. You grabbed a great box there and rifle(s). Congrats.

Chils123, I'm guessing your not far from me. I'm in the Rochester area and I see several members here are from Western NY. I'm also into Pacific theater items as my Dad was there in WW2. I got lucky once and got a good group of Japanese items from a vet but no shipping box. You grabbed a great box there and rifle(s). Congrats.

sundance,

Thank you for the kind words! I am located directly south of Rochester down 390. Do you ever make it over to the gun show at the Dome in Henrietta? I've been setting up a display of Japanese bring backs the last few shows. I intend to set up at the show the weekend of January 13th and 14th, so if you're free please stop by and say hi! It will be more focused on these types of rifles with individual provenance identified. Here's an example of a setup I did at the Syracuse show last fall.

IMG_1711.jpg

I haven't made it to the show in a while but I'll make a point of getting over there for the one in January. My Dad brought back a couple of swords, a pistol and a flag. My Mom made sure he got rid of the pistol while my siblings and I were little. He got rid of the swords while I was off at school but I've got the flag. Provided I make it to the show I'll introduce myself. Also, I just realized that all the items I've been drooling over were all posted by you. Happy New Year.

I haven't made it to the show in a while but I'll make a point of getting over there for the one in January. My Dad brought back a couple of swords, a pistol and a flag. My Mom made sure he got rid of the pistol while my siblings and I were little. He got rid of the swords while I was off at school but I've got the flag. Provided I make it to the show I'll introduce myself. Also, I just realized that all the items I've been drooling over were all posted by you. Happy New Year.

That would be great! I love meeting members from these forums. Not too many from the Western NY area, but I've met a few from some Facebook groups and Gunboards. All of the items posted will be there in person with some write ups on their history.

I think you'll find more Western NY members here than you think. You just don't realize it until you catch something in their posts that gives a location. Also, some of those local folk come up with some pretty spectacular finds - yours for instance.

90 miles south of you boys. Seen your display at the dome several times and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Glad to hear it! Hopefully I'll see you at the one in a few weeks. Usually it's a pretty busy show.

• 2 weeks later...