Mauser HSc

sigma9r

Greetings,

I recently inherited, from my father's collection, a Mauser HSc pistol with leather holster and extra magazine. I can identify certain hand/weapons but "that's a Luger" is about it! This weapon has no SS/SA markings, no markings other than the standard manufacturer markings. Dad got it in a trade from a WWII vet who tells the story of having to remove the grips, because they had SS runes on them, and having to fashion new grips from the "Plexiglas from a downed B-17" (That story I heard first hand). The finishing touch for the pistol, for me at least, is that he, or someone, put cigarette foil under the clear grips to resemble pearl or, at least, mother of pearl grips. I'm sure we all remember what Patton said about a pistol with pearl handles!!

As I said, I know little to nothing about Axis firearms. If I had not read "Mauser" on the barrel, I would have assumed it was a Walther PP or PPK. I did see a picture of an artilleryman wearing what looked like a Mauser HSc, at least it looked like one from the style of the holster.

Can anyone shed some light on this pistol? Was it ever issued to the Heer, SS, SA or even the SD? As for the value, I know that Dad traded work for the gun, not cash, so I don't know what the investment was and since Mom handed me the pistol and told me that Dad wanted me to have it, that's about all I know. Dad didn't keep any records as far as value for his guns.

Any help'll be appreciated.

Wiley

post-1678-0-32005900-1514466243_thumb.jpg

post-1678-0-23446700-1514466273_thumb.jpg

I have one too. A bring back that unfortunately the Vet scratched his name out of the holster flap. It feels good in the hand and being .32 I can understand why it was carried by officers as the P-38 and Lugar are some what heaver. I still shoot mine every now and then. Good luck with your new pistol. Nice yours has a story.

Raidercollector

It looks like a ww2 army or police pistol, The eagle behind the trigger is very faint in the photo, A better photo would tell me what branch of service it was used in .

And being replaced grips hurts the value . You can still find original grips to replace those your father put on. I know I would. Go on Gun Broker, You can see them on their, That will give you a better value on your pistol. All their they bring about $ 450 to 650. Depends if Army police or Navy., Navy brings more value. That would be a M under the eagle, Army is 135 or 655 under the eagle. Police is usually a L. Hope this helps.

Nick

I would consider the grips as a period modification which in my opinion does not detract from the value. The story on the grips may be true or not,but it was a common practice to change out the grips.I doubt that there were SS ruins on the originals.These were mostly post war,early occupation.

The Hsc is a fine gun.Lube it up and go to the range.

Nice HsC, bummer about the grips, from the looks of the eagle it looks like an Eagle L stamp which if memory serves me right would make this a police pistol, with the grips being replaced hurts it somewhat I would still value this as a rig with holster and two mags in the 4-500 range maybe a tick more but finding original grips is gonna be tough, in unaltered condition with proper grips it would be closer to 700 IMO, are the mags Mauser logo stamped on the bottom?

Fritz

Nice HsC, bummer about the grips, from the looks of the eagle it looks like an Eagle L stamp which if memory serves me right would make this a police pistol, with the grips being replaced hurts it somewhat I would still value this as a rig with holster and two mags in the 4-500 range maybe a tick more but finding original grips is gonna be tough, in unaltered condition with proper grips it would be closer to 700 IMO, are the mags Mauser logo stamped on the bottom?

Fritz

Fritz,

I can't tell you now, I sent the pistol to a gunsmith at Final Flight Outfitters to have it looked over. The story goes that the firing pin is broken but I wasn't going to open it up. I'll check when I get it back.

Thanks,

Wiley