German Battle of the Bulge Map w/ tactical Marks

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Given this is the time the Battle of the Bulge was being fought I wish to show this German map along with the tactical marks beginning within Germany towards Bastogne to Houffalize.

Any insight or comments are appreciated.

The 1:100,000 Neuerburg Map

post-17994-0-09642900-1514321492_thumb.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

I would just like to add that this map was brought back by a field officer in the 7th Armored division.

Bastogne area:

post-17994-0-03004800-1514324264_thumb.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

I will be posting other U.S. GSGS maps in the next few days in the Field Equipment Section bought back by Lt. Sam H. Sharp, 48th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division.

I love old maps like this because sometimes over time locations change names, get combined into other localities, or disappear altogether. When reading a citation, morning report, or casualty report, it's very interesting to see exactly where the event took place, based on the name(s) of the time. On a map like this, it even showed major buildings! Very nice!

So was this map used by the Germans, and then captured? Or was it captured and then used by US forces? Our maps of the area weren't the greatest, so the latter wouldn't surprise me at all.

Thanks for posting!

Very nice map. I am far from an expert but starting at Dasburg and ending north of Hoffalize sure looks like one of the routes assigned to 116th Panzer Division.

It's also interesting that the pencil line turns from blue to red at Ulflingen (Troisvierges). I believe that area was the approximate position of elements of the 112th infantry Regiment (28th Infantry Division) on 19 December.

I will be posting other U.S. GSGS maps in the next few days in the Field Equipment Section bought back by Lt. Sam H. Sharp, 48th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division.

Nice to see artifacts from a unit I served with even though it was 40 years later.

• 3 weeks later...
Persian Gulf Command

FYI, Over on Wehrmacht-Awards Forum in the Wehrmacht Equipment Forum I started another thread under: Another "Wacht am Rhein" Map. The map posted there came from a German flea marked and is unrelated to the map posted here. However, it may be of interest to those who have viewed the map here, under Spoils of War. Map