Unknown and Unusual Cap Cover, Army Service Cap WWII.

patches

What is this? it has every appearance of being of thin light weight cloth right, not a rain cover, and why would a soldier pose for a studio portrait with a rain cover on anyway :lol:.

post-34986-0-07605900-1513836182_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hmm he seems to be a Medical Corps Troop, then maybe it a Maroon cover??? Some kind of heretofore know branch thing, like maybe something worn however briefly by MC trainees at like Cp Grant???

• 3 months later...

A rain cover wouldn't fit that tightly, and would typically cover the cap badge. There appears to be stiching of some kind about an inch from the seam between the rest of the cap and the mystery layer.

A rain cover wouldn't fit that tightly, and would typically cover the cap badge. There appears to be stiching of some kind about an inch from the seam between the rest of the cap and the mystery layer.

That's what I've been thinking all along, the rain covers posted by the other interested members are not like this one in the portrait, They're semi clear semi translucent,, loose and bulbous around the crown not to mention the cap device, this thig is not pulled over it, it's placed under it, almost to show he device and to reiterate, why would any GI sit for a portrait wearing a rain cover!

it seems like to me some kind of cover like a Branch color cover, don't know what, never seen this before, looks like this GI is in the Medical Corps by his disc??, then maybe a Maroon color??? a School thing???

I wonder if he's not some sort of officer cadet/pilot candidate, or that sort of thing. Perhaps they wore covers to distinguish themselves from plain old enlisted men. Perhaps different classes had different color covers.

Just my random thoughts...

I wonder if he's not some sort of officer cadet/pilot candidate, or that sort of thing. Perhaps they wore covers to distinguish themselves from plain old enlisted men. Perhaps different classes had different color covers.

Just my random thoughts...

Yes kinda like in WWI, didn't certain officer candidates or whatever they were called back then wear colored bands!