41st Infantry/Armored Infantry Box

Stony

Acquired this box today with 41st Infantry Co. B on it in several places. My questions are..........

Is it WWI, WWII or post-war?

It's marked 41st Infantry/Co. B, but if WWII, they were designated 41st Armored Infantry and attached to the 2nd Armored Division.

The rope handles have been replaced and I'm pretty sure the original handles were also rope as the holes on both ends don't seem to have had metal handles at any time. The lid is made so that only 2/3 of it opens, so it doesn't seem to be a footlocker, but could possibly be a personal effects box. Hasp and hinges are WWII or earlier.

Size is 27 1/2" long, 17" wide and 12" high.

The name HL Underwood is stenciled on the top, but I haven't had any luck finding anyone with that name on the net.

Any and all help is appreciated in IDing this box or the owner.

Thanks!

post-7698-0-27200700-1513556450_thumb.jpg

post-7698-0-11228400-1513556466_thumb.jpg

post-7698-0-70803700-1513556480_thumb.jpg

That would be G Company we're seeing. Could be for the WWI period, when this unit was at Camp Funston Kansas as part of the WWI era 10th Division. BUT This unit was a full regiment in WWII, the 2nd Armored Division being a Heavy Armored Division, it along with the 3rd Armored Division had it's tank and Infantry as full regiments, the 1st Armored Division too, but that one was reorganized during the war to a standard armored division, the 2nd and 3rd kept the heavy TOE for the whole war. After WWII, that's when the 41st Armd Inf is broken up into battalions.

post-7698-0-70803700-1513556480.jpg

The one at the upper right is "WT 50" (weight 50?) and the one in the upper right looks to be "SO 51" (might not be an "S" as it's rubbed off almost all the way).

A couple interior pics would be nice. That's an awesome box. Really like it. Looks like some sort of pre-WW1 to mid 20's armorer's chest. I think the white stripe around the exterior would be the key identifier as to who or what. Take care. Jordan

Since the 41st Infantry Regiment was active from 1917 to 1921, that's the era of this box. Also, since it has someone's name on the top, it's probably personal and not G Company property. It's made of wood, not plywood, and well made. There are no brackets or sections inside.

A couple interior pics would be nice. That's an awesome box. Really like it. Looks like some sort of pre-WW1 to mid 20's armorer's chest. I think the white stripe around the exterior would be the key identifier as to who or what. Take care. Jordan

So you believe this will be a Great War era pre 2nd Armd Div 41st infantry item?

Yes, I believe so. It has rope handles and the hinges on the top definately look pre-WWII. I also believe it's homemade as issue footlockers were either re-enforced with metal with key lock hasps or the plywood ones with a hasp made for padlocks.

It would be cool if it were a 41st Armored Infantry Regiment box. The only way to know for sure is if anyone can find H.L. Underwood on a roster for the 41st Regiment, Company G.

Yes, I believe so. It has rope handles and the hinges on the top definately look pre-WWII. I also believe it's homemade as issue footlockers were either re-enforced with metal with key lock hasps or the plywood ones with a hasp made for padlocks.

It would be cool if it were a 41st Armored Infantry Regiment box. The only way to know for sure is if anyone can find H.L. Underwood on a roster for the 41st Regiment, Company G.

Roger and good deduction.