M31 Tank Recovery Vehicle helping Luther back on his feet

Proud Kraut

Finding this kit 3 months ago I new that this would be my next project. Here's the new released M31 by TAKOM in 1/35 scale.

31_01.jpg

I don't know, if I've build a TAKOM kit before. It looks very detailed with a couple of decal variants, clear and photo etched parts. A look on the sprues.

31_02.jpg

Lars, looks like a good kit. I've read good things about Takom kits in general. In your hands, no doubt it will turn out quite nicely.

Terry

Me and the M3 had a good start. This is an excellent kit so I can echo what Terry has posted. Can detailing be overdone? Probably not but hey, Mr. Takom, I will NOT cut off and affix single screw heads, lol....

14Dez01.jpg

Each suspension consists of 16 parts. The tracks are very well executed, a nice built so far. My only point of criticism is the tiny (but very accurate) manual. You need very good eyes or in my case very good glasses.

14Dez02.jpg

Christmas rules the downtime so there's only slow progress with the M31. I just started the main body/hull yesterday. Still much fun with the kit.

17Dez01.jpg

Hi Lars, that one is shaping up nicely. I like the fit of the tracks.

What do you mean by slow progress? It looks about done (apart from some minor detail fitting) ^_^

I should find some time to continue my Abrams tank because that's really slow progress :D

Rene

Rene, far away from being done. There are at least 50 parts left just for the crane. Here's a look on the crane's sprue. No problem since the ordered figures are still on the way...

17Dez03.jpg

Looking really good Lars!

The rivet detail on the hull stands out nicely. Way back in Post #6, you noted the screw heads that were to be shaved off the sprue. What were those intended for? Where were they supposed to be used?

And, MERRY CHRISTMAS Lars! :)

Terry

Looking really good Lars!

The rivet detail on the hull stands out nicely. Way back in Post #6, you noted the screw heads that were to be shaved off the sprue. What were those intended for? Where were they supposed to be used?

And, MERRY CHRISTMAS Lars! :)

Terry

Yes Terry, I don't know the correct English terms so I have marked the pieces the screw heads should have been glued on:

Schrauben.jpg

Finally the crane is driving me NUTS. For sure Mr. Takom wanted to do something very special when he added metal copper wire instead of nylon thread. He did NOT! I find it impossible to handle the copper wire so that it looks taut (or tight?). I stretched the glued parts to the limit I broke one winch, finally I gave up, removed the copper wire and replaced it with nylon thread, aaaaaargh.

Hey Terry, you're so right: MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you (I think I need some Santa-break).

Kran.jpg

Yes Terry, I don't know the correct English terms so I have marked the pieces the screw heads should have been glued on:

attachicon.gifSchrauben.jpg

Finally the crane is driving me NUTS. For sure Mr. Takom wanted to do something very special when he added metal copper wire instead of nylon thread. He did NOT! I find it impossible to handle the copper wire so that it looks taut (or tight?). I stretched the glued parts to the limit I broke one winch, finally I gave up, removed the copper wire and replaced it with nylon thread, aaaaaargh.

Hey Terry, you're so right: MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you (I think I need some Santa-break).

attachicon.gifKran.jpg

Hi Lars, the correct name in Sherman terminology is volute suspension arm (left or right).

Have you tried annealing the copper wire? That makes it more handleable.

And last but not least also from me Merry Christmas to everyone :) .

Rene

Hi Lars, the correct name in Sherman terminology is volute suspension arm (left or right).

Have you tried annealing the copper wire? That makes it more handleable.

And last but not least also from me Merry Christmas to everyone :) .

Rene

Thanks Rene, yes volute suspension arm. No, I didn't continue with ethe copper wire. I think the twisted nylon I'm usually using worked well here also. I have now nearly completed the M31. After all a nice kit but for sure no model for beginners to start with. After christmas I'll start with the figures and the vignette.

19Dez01.jpg

19Dez03.jpg

Wow Lars, This is really coming along nicely. Your right that twisted nylon looks very much like thick steel cable.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hey guys, thanks for your kind words! Meanwhile the figures have arrived. I'll take some of these two (modified) MiniArt figure sets and...well, I think that will remain my little secret until the vignette will be finished. B)

20Dez01a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After the Christmas break I continued to work on the M31 this week. The M31 received a coat of light grey primer...

30Dez01.jpg

Looks like excellent work, and an excellent kit as well.

Look forward to the finished job.

I used to make these M31 from scratch in 1/72 many years ago for the wargames table.

Have a happy 2018 everyone!

Guy

I am always so very impressed by your work. I was never that good at painting them, so reading these threads to keep up with your progress is fun to see how things should be done!