M31 Tank Recovery Vehicle helping Luther back on his feet

Proud Kraut

Lars, that's just wonderful! That is a very creative and unique idea for a diorama. Luther and his base came out great. I like the women picking up the bricks, nice touch. I really like this project.

Excellent work!

Lars,

Magnificent work.. Your dioramas should be published in modeling magazines if they aren't already..

Remarkable detail and creativity.. Museum quality work...

Leigh

Not at all a criticism of your work, just an anecdote.

We got a commission to do a statue of a very famous coach from our state to be put at the State University's stadium. When we set a piece, we hang the piece by the neck, usually, as it is a very stable center of mass for whatever the piece is. We drill the base and use epoxy stronger than the surrounding stone or cement to glue pins in that were screwed into the base of the statue, drop it in vertically after drilling the base. We've set literally hundreds of life-sized figures. No way it's coming out. Our pieces are about 1/4" to 3/8" thick bronze, sometimes with stainless reinforcement, securely TIG welded. Remember when Saddam broke off at the knees? We got a kick out of that... Doubt ours would snap like that! For the coach, you should have seen people howl.... We usually do over 20 lifesized pieces a year, which is very productive for even larger outfits... People griping that it would rip the coach's head off, griping that it was disrespectful, etc. Morons even felt compelled to write in to the big city newspaper's letter to the editor. I couldn't believe it. Thankful there's plenty of space between those kooks in the city and the foundry.

It was pretty cool to see George C. Marshall riding on a horse "fly in" with the crane when we set him in Uniontown, PA!

All that being said, I really think your composition here with Luther slung the way he is makes for a lot better vignette than if he was strung up by the neck!!!

Lars

A truly interesting diorama subject, and an incredible job. The human and humanity element is very present in this diorama.

Everything works here. The figures, the recovery vehicle, the incredible weathering. Truly a wonderful piece of work.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Not at all a criticism of your work, just an anecdote.

We got a commission to do a statue of a very famous coach from our state to be put at the State University's stadium. When we set a piece, we hang the piece by the neck, usually, as it is a very stable center of mass for whatever the piece is. We drill the base and use epoxy stronger than the surrounding stone or cement to glue pins in that were screwed into the base of the statue, drop it in vertically after drilling the base. We've set literally hundreds of life-sized figures. No way it's coming out. Our pieces are about 1/4" to 3/8" thick bronze, sometimes with stainless reinforcement, securely TIG welded. Remember when Saddam broke off at the knees? We got a kick out of that... Doubt ours would snap like that! For the coach, you should have seen people howl.... We usually do over 20 lifesized pieces a year, which is very productive for even larger outfits... People griping that it would rip the coach's head off, griping that it was disrespectful, etc. Morons even felt compelled to write in to the big city newspaper's letter to the editor. I couldn't believe it. Thankful there's plenty of space between those kooks in the city and the foundry.

It was pretty cool to see George C. Marshall riding on a horse "fly in" with the crane when we set him in Uniontown, PA!

All that being said, I really think your composition here with Luther slung the way he is makes for a lot better vignette than if he was strung up by the neck!!!

Great story, thanks for sharing. After you have had posted this I checked hanging Martin by the neck. Fortunately it didn't work because the statue was too large ;-)

Thanks to all the others for their kind words as well, I appreciate it!

Lars

I love the diorama and the model work, but having gone through recovery training with an (M88) tank recovery vehicle, I noticed some stuff right away that wouldn't have bene done.
For example, the guy on the base is holding the cable with his hands? One snag and he could lose them both or if he's lucky, just rip his palms off. He'd likely be using some sort of winch of block and tackle to swing the bottom toward the pedestal.

The GI standing under the boom wouldn't likely be there, either.

Sure, safety wasn't as big a thing in 1945 as it was in 1998 when I did that myself, but I doubt you'd see GI's doing that.

Probably would be a guide rope and not a cable to set the base and keep it from swinging. I'd wear gloves tho... Oh and I never stood underneath if I could help it when working with cranes. Best to have a place to run to also if things go wrong.:) Nice model by the way!

I love the diorama and the model work, but having gone through recovery training with an (M88) tank recovery vehicle, I noticed some stuff right away that wouldn't have bene done.

For example, the guy on the base is holding the cable with his hands? One snag and he could lose them both or if he's lucky, just rip his palms off. He'd likely be using some sort of winch of block and tackle to swing the bottom toward the pedestal.

The GI standing under the boom wouldn't likely be there, either.

Sure, safety wasn't as big a thing in 1945 as it was in 1998 when I did that myself, but I doubt you'd see GI's doing that.

I noticed the same with the person under the boom...maybe he was an officer..... :lol:

Having worked for a utility company and around boom trucks you don't stand under the boom or a crane.Just not a sound practice for longevity.

I'm trying to build my dios as realistic as possible so some minor changes had to be done after your input.

- the cords are now looking like guide ropes as intended and not like cables,

- both soldiers handling the guide ropes are wearing gloves,

- 1st Lt Supervision stepped aside a bit not longer standing under the crane

Thanks again for adding your expertise her, guys!

11feb01.jpg

I have to admit, you are very flexible Lars. I like the changes to the diorama and they don't take anything away from the original concept.

Nice job.

Semper Fi.

Manny