WW2 USMC helmet

Screamingeagles101

Hi Dom,

I would suggest you read the threads here on USMF on this type of helmet cover without slits.

A lot of people still stand behind the so called "first pattern" USMC helmet covers as being WWII issued. I guess it comes down to this, do you want a helmet cover that *might* have been issued in WWII despite no photographic evidence, or can you wait for one with slits and not have to worry about it.

Regards,

-Steve

Well, I love it..! But then again I own it. Had it since 2006, the add states just what it is. The real deal or your money back as stated in the add... Just got laid off work last month so I am lightening up my collection, I don't need five of these floating around the house. Regards, Chris

Screamingeagles101

Hi Dom,

I would suggest you read the threads here on USMF on this type of helmet cover without slits. 

A lot of people still stand behind the so called "first pattern" USMC helmet covers as being WWII issued.  I guess it comes down to this, do you want a helmet cover that *might* have been issued in WWII despite no photographic evidence, or can you wait for one with slits and not have to worry about it. 

Regards,

-Steve

I've had several helmets throughout the years but never a USMC so I am not very knowledgeable on them, I've been wanting to acquire an all original un messed with one.I thought this one was WW2 for sure but now your saying there is a possibility its post war?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

Well, I love it..!   But then again I own it.  Had it since 2006, the add states just what it is.  The real deal or your money back as stated in the add...    Just got laid off work last month so I am lightening up my collection, I don't need five of these floating around the house.  Regards, Chris

Yessir, I've been wanting an in messed with USMC helmet for a long time, I just wanted to confirm with some guys more knowledgeable on them than myself before spending all that money.

Dom, I've been fooled by these covers in the past.... But no more, learned my lessons. I won't have any kind of fake in my collection. As I understand it, the first patterns were "first" and the ones with the slits are the "second" pattern. I have three first pattern ones and two 2nd pattern ones. I am going to keep one of each and sell the others off. There are also ones with a "button hole" and then some marked with an Australian manufacture stamp. I don't think the Australians are the real deal but then again I have never held one in hand. I believe here on this forum is a good pinned topic on covers. Regards, Chris

Hi

As far as the cover goes its oroginal WW2 ,

As far as the convo on what pattern came first there is a very strong argument that the pattern with the slits is the first type and the non Slit version being late WW2.

In period photos most have the slits , I own both types and will class both as WW2.

The slit version with the EGA , blue anchor one is 1953 , just wanted to state that.

Helmet looks nice ,

D.C~

Screamingeagles101

Dom, I've been fooled by these covers in the past....   But no more, learned my lessons.  I won't have any kind of fake in my collection.  As I understand it, the first patterns were "first" and the ones with the slits are the "second" pattern.  I have three first pattern ones and two 2nd pattern ones.  I am going to keep one of each and sell the others off.  There are also ones with a "button hole" and then some marked with an Australian manufacture stamp.  I don't think the Australians are the real deal but then again I have never held one in hand.  I believe here on this forum is a good pinned topic on covers.  Regards, Chris

The helmet looks great and I don't doubt it being all original, however, there appears to be some speculation regarding the era.

So if I understand this correctly, some don't feel the first pattern were wwii. No one on here owns a first pattern with a solid provenance to confirm that these were indeed used during WWII?

Screamingeagles101

Hi

As far as the convo on what pattern came first there is a very strong argument that the pattern with the slits is the first type and the non Slit version being late WW2.

In period photos most have the slits , I own both types and will class both as WW2.

The slit version with the EGA , blue anchor one is 1953 , just wanted to state that.

Helmet looks nice ,

D.C~

Ok, the the convo isn't WW2 vs Post war, it's

Early war vs late war?

Steve - can you link a topic here, that proposes no-slit / non-EGA original covers as post-WWII?

To be all-inclusive, there are actually three patterns of WWII-issue USMC helmet covers:

- No foliage slits

- Slits on dome only

- Slits on dome and 'fingers'

Cover slits on period photos can be really hard to see, and I'm not looking to rehash any debates - primarily as I don't think it matters. They are all WWII issue. That said, why would they start with slits then end the war with no slits? I could consider the position that it was to cut production cost / time, IF there wasn't a third pattern. Logic dictates (to me anyway) that you wouldn't start with slits on dome and fingers, then decide to remove them only from the fingers, then remove them altogether. You would just go from having to not having them.

Hi Dom,

A lot of people still stand behind the so called "first pattern" USMC helmet covers as being WWII issued. I guess it comes down to this, do you want a helmet cover that *might* have been issued in WWII despite no photographic evidence, or can you wait for one with slits and not have to worry about it.

Regards,

-Steve

Yes, early or late WW2. For me I believe that the slits came a year or so later. I base this on having had many of these helmets and the real ones, that came together, not "put togethers" by later collectors, the ones with the non slit (1st pattern) are usually on fixed bail (loop) helmets and the swivel bail, swivel loop helmets usually have a 2nd pattern with the slits, but not always. This is purely anecdotal and observational on my part having collected helmets since the mid-late 1970's. As for the EGA helmets I assume that the EGA came after the war, like around the 1953 period and into the 60's, sometimes a stamp, sometimes on a piece of cloth sewn to the cover with the stamp on it. Various forms of EGA stamps exist I believe. I have had several of these types of helmets over the years but sold them off as I mainly collect WW2 and WW1 stuff. Regards, Chris

Oh, and a collecting note, I keep two repro covers as examples and references so I can compare to the real ones. I think there is a repro cover out there that comes very close, stitching and all but I won't go into how you can spot the real good fake here.

Yes, early or late WW2. For me I believe that the slits came a year or so later. I base this on having had many of these helmets and the real ones, that came together, not "put togethers" by later collectors, the ones with the non slit (1st pattern) are usually on fixed bail (loop) helmets and the swivel bail, swivel loop helmets usually have a 2nd pattern with the slits, but not always. This is purely anecdotal and observational on my part having collected helmets since the mid-late 1970's. As for the EGA helmets I assume that the EGA came after the war, like around the 1953 period and into the 60's, sometimes a stamp, sometimes on a piece of cloth sewn to the cover with the stamp on it. Various forms of EGA stamps exist I believe. I have had several of these types of helmets over the years but sold them off as I mainly collect WW2 and WW1 stuff. Regards, Chris

Oh, and a collecting note, I keep two repro covers as examples and references so I can compare to the real ones. I think there is a repro cover out there that comes very close, stitching and all but I won't go into how you can spot the real good fake here.

I recently watched the Chosin Reservoir documentary and actually saw quite a few EGAs on helmet covers.

There was a great discussion on "" First pattern and if first pattern was first or the "" second pattern with slits was first. Honestly, I have 4 in my collection. 1 Salty Slit Type II 1 Mint Type II one type I with bayonet slits for the chinstraps and finally a 1953 dated. This is a good looking one. Find the link talking about slits no slits. But honestly there are quality photo evidence of Slits and no slits in use at the same time as of 1943 Tarawa and forward. More photos seem to show no slits on Iwo Jima. But honestly, as was stated before. there were multiple types issued. and as long as it doesn't have an EGA or a date on it, then its WWII. Cant say anyone's shown any "" evidence for an EGA present or any stamps. Slits and no slits your good to hook. there are no repros that have the correct non existent "" Pacman in the pattern. That's the biggest give-away to a reproduction to date.

With regards to price. I'll just say a Mint Type I helmet cover just went for 400$ (correction) last month on ebay. I was shocked to say the least. I just started paying attention to prices again and was checking on things and saw that and said wow. Price is what anyone is willing to pay at any given time. Its a nice looking one.

There were WWII non-EGA covers that were then EGA-stamped post-war for Korea, as well as covers made post-WWII that were EGA stamped, such as the aforementioned Blue Anchor examples.

Now, what WOULD be ground-breaking would be to find a WWII theater photo with an EGA stamp on the cover. Not a mysterious dark blotch in a grainy photo, or a hand-drawn one, but a legit stamped example. Some photos have been suggested, but were far from convincing.

As for the comment on market, prices are down on these as with most everything else. I will refrain from ranging.

I recently watched the Chosin Reservoir documentary and actually saw quite a few EGAs on helmet covers.

Interesting about the Chosin, 1950. Really started showing up around 1953, very prevalent, a good source are those graduation group pictures.... I think I have seen some EGA's on covers from around 1947 but not too many pics as I can recall. I'd have to check my archived pics and that could take two weeks to go through them all, maybe longer.

Regards, Chris

The state of one part of my closet....

post-5954-0-02653800-1513124173_thumb.jpg

Some nice lids in that lineup.

Interesting about the Chosin, 1950. Really started showing up around 1953, very prevalent, a good source are those graduation group pictures.... I think I have seen some EGA's on covers from around 1947 but not too many pics as I can recall. I'd have to check my archived pics and that could take two weeks to go through them all, maybe longer.

Regards, Chris

The state of one part of my closet....

Raidercollector

Here is a photo of a Marine with a type 3 and EGA camo cover. I think the marine has a swivel bail on? I think the photo could be late 40's or early 50's. I,m not sure. But this is the closet photo I have found. Any one can help date it ?

Nick

post-421-0-71423400-1513130835.jpg

post-421-0-67096900-1513130852.jpg

Here is a photo of a Marine with a type 3 and EGA camo cover. I think the marine has a swivel bail on? I think the photo could be late 40's or early 50's. I,m not sure. But this is the closet photo I have found. Any one can help date it ?

Nick

I've got a few Covers with that same EGA some smaller, some larger. I personally believe that it was done in the late 40s/ early 50s and then being required in January 1956 with the Diamond sewn EGAs. Don't forget that most Covers with the Diamond Sewn EGA likely have that same stamped EGA underneath that is seen in the photo you have posted.

Some nice lids in that lineup.

Thanks Brother, and that is not even a quarter of it....! At one time I had over 120 lids, when I lived in my big house.... Downsized for retirement and I need to make room... Regards, Chris

Ok, the the convo isn't WW2 vs Post war, it's

Early war vs late war?

Who stated post war, read the first paragraph of my sentence , it is WW2.

it is late WW2 as far as Im concerned , there is little photographic evidence of non slit covers being worn.

IMHO

Hi

Helmet looks nice ,

D.C~

First line

Hello, nice original WW2 cover. I am with the opinion that the non-slit covers are late WW2 due to photographic evidence. There are great discussions on the forum to this effect.

I own a helmet and cover with provenance to a Marine who was on Iwo Jima. This is a non-slit cover. Therefore IMO if you want a late war display piece, this will be perfect. Good luck!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/201954-usmc-ww2-combat-grouping/

post-20528-0-93293300-1513161363.jpgpost-20528-0-02199700-1513161378.jpg

Screamingeagles101

I am now the proud owner of it. Looking forward to having my first original USMC helmet!!