311th Engineers Co. C Unit Photo WW2

P-40Warhawk

I found this many years ago at a flea market while I was on vacation. It's hard to get the camera to focus on the shoulder patches, but the 311th was assigned to the 86th Infantry Division in WWII. I had mentioned this in another thread, and after some interest in seeing it thought I should post it here so I don't clutter up the other thread. I don't have a good way to get a photo of the whole thing, but I will try again later. For now here are some close ups I thought were interesting. I turned the pictures black and white and adjusted the contrast a little to make it easier to see; the real photo is sepia/orange looking I guess.

1.jpg

311.jpg

311closeup.jpg

I noticed this soldier's qualification badges, and thought it was interesting he had two side by side.

badgeww2.jpg

There is no date on this photo, but the only ribbons I see are some Good Conduct ones a few guys have, so I would guess this was before they went overseas? This one soldier has some overseas bars, wonder where he had served before this?

overseas.jpg

An Officer

officer.jpg

Interesting photo! As for the guy with overseas bars would it be possible that before the war he was stationed overseas? He is a sergeant with at least 3 years in the service so that might be a possibility. Or he could have switched to the unit from another that had already been overseas before switching to this one. I don't believe the 86th infantry division shipped out the ETO until 1945 so maybe he saw some action somewhere else.

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

Thank you for posting the yardlong. My Father was in the 86th ID....served in 341st in ETO/PTO. The NCO appears to have been OCONUS for 1 1/2 yrs in his 1st enlistment...but where?? This new unit needed experienced NCO and leaders. Again...Thanks for posting.