• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110,893
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

I found this many years ago at a flea market while I was on vacation. It's hard to get the camera to focus on the shoulder patches, but the 311th was assigned to the 86th Infantry Division in WWII. I had mentioned this in another thread, and after some interest in seeing it thought I should post it here so I don't clutter up the other thread. I don't have a good way to get a photo of the whole thing, but I will try again later. For now here are some close ups I thought were interesting. I turned the pictures black and white and adjusted the contrast a little to make it easier to see; the real photo is sepia/orange looking I guess.

1.jpg

311.jpg

311closeup.jpg

#2 P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk
  • Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

I noticed this soldier's qualification badges, and thought it was interesting he had two side by side.

badgeww2.jpg

There is no date on this photo, but the only ribbons I see are some Good Conduct ones a few guys have, so I would guess this was before they went overseas? This one soldier has some overseas bars, wonder where he had served before this?

overseas.jpg

An Officer

officer.jpg

#3 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,862
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

Interesting photo! As for the guy with overseas bars would it be possible that before the war he was stationed overseas? He is a sergeant with at least 3 years in the service so that might be a possibility. Or he could have switched to the unit from another that had already been overseas before switching to this one. I don't believe the 86th infantry division shipped out the ETO until 1945 so maybe he saw some action somewhere else.

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

#4 Edelweisse

Edelweisse
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,915
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

Thank you for posting the yardlong.  My Father was in the 86th ID....served in 341st in ETO/PTO.  The NCO appears to have been OCONUS for 1 1/2 yrs in his 1st enlistment...but where??  This new unit needed experienced NCO and leaders.   Again...Thanks for posting.

#5 P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk
  • Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the comments. If anyone wants more closeups, I will try to get them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)