WWII VMF-215 Ace Log Book and Document Group

Kadet

Here are some close ups of the entries for a few of his victories. I think the arrow symbols represent a dog fight, and the flags a kill. The pencilled names are either a wing man or a witness (or both)

post-110-0-11165600-1513334516_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Awesome find. Any chance you could post some more pictures of his logbook while in combat in the pacific. Can't get enough of these logbooks, the logbook page on the forum is something I go back to all the time. Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

This is absolutely jaw-dropping... both that it still exists, and that it somehow survived being chucked into the trash. I am beyond envious that you found this, but immensely thankful that you managed to save it!

If I could be so bold, could I ask you to post scans of those small maps, front and back? Our living history group is setting up at the Warbirds Over The Beach show in May as VF-17 at Piva Yoke, and I'd love to print out copies of those maps for my guys.

Thanks for sharing this!

Lynn

This group was literally pulled from a garbage bag recently. I always shudder to think how much history goes in the trash every year. The owner was a 7 victory Corsair ace with VMF 215. His log book is fascinating, especially the entries for his victories. The witnesses annotated include several other VMF 215 aces, and a MoH awardee. I believe the smaller square maps were used in the cockpit

Incredible... thank God it was saved.

Years ago a person in Chicago saved a KIA 101st Airborne PH and BS from her neighbor's garbage while she was waiting with her child for the school bus.

Thanks, I have come close to selling this group because it doesn't really fit my area of collecting but have found it difficult to let go of....it is a one of a kind.

Lynn, I have very hi res scans of the maps that are way too big to post. I can email them to you though...just drop me a pm