WWII VMF-215 Ace Log Book and Document Group

Kadet

This group was literally pulled from a garbage bag recently. I always shudder to think how much history goes in the trash every year. The owner was a 7 victory Corsair ace with VMF 215. His log book is fascinating, especially the entries for his victories. The witnesses annotated include several other VMF 215 aces, and a MoH awardee. I believe the smaller square maps were used in the cockpit

post-110-0-47383300-1512930753_thumb.jpg

Thanks. It is tough to read, but one of the victory witnesses was Robert M. Hanson, another VMF-215 ace and MoH awardee. Spears is another name annotated, and he was an ace as well.

Unbelievable!! Love the logbook, even with the water damage. They seem to be very very tough to find on the open market these days. This is a nice one!

As for the save..........so seriously, did you know it was in the trash and get it out? How the heck did that whole thing go down?!?!

Captainofthe7th

Very nice save - any mention of James Neefus? If I recall he helped to organize VMF-215. I'd be interested in seeing any material related to him.

Rob

I do have logbooks in my collection that are similarly water logged. I just wonder if the damage occurred during the war in the SW Pacific?

Kurt

I do have logbooks in my collection that are similarly water logged. I just wonder if the damage occurred during the war in the SW Pacific?

Kurt

Just a thought...could it be from the extreme humidity? I had several WW2 era documents with ink inscriptions that began to run/disappear when I had them on display when I was stationed in the western Pacific. The humidity was excessive where we were, and I know it was far, far worse on some of the islands our forces operated on during WW2 (and they didn't have air conditioning to mitigate it!)

An historic find.

Too bad we can't comb the dump in the USA.

Imagine what you would find.

I used to be an archeologist in my spare time so digging through garbage no matter how old it is fun.

I forgot:

An old friend of mine was a carrier Corsair pilot.

He told me that they would launch with their canopy pulled back open because it was so hot out.

Those little maps would be on a small table that would pop out.

If it wasn't fastened closed properly it would pop out during take off due to the catapult jolt.

More than once he saw maps fly out of a cockpit during take off.