M1 with (something, something) Casablanca painted in it...?

RDUNE

Hello all,

I'm thinning out the M1's in the closet and noticed this one had something painted inside it. I'd never noticed it before and I guess the light hit it just right. I can't really make it out but to me it looks like a name, possibly a serial number, and Port (something) Casablanca. I've tried to photograph it using different filters and contrasts on my camera but I can't seem to make it any clearer. The helmet itself is not much to look at and I almost put it in the 'sell' pile but I'm intrigued by the writing in the helmet. Perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't really there. I just wanted to post it for opinions and see what other sets of eyes make of it.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated :)

-Ryan

post-44370-0-67214500-1512604748.jpg

Looks like an officers service number

That would explain the hole on the front of helmet and what looks to be burnt around it. Some kind of officers insignia, maybe a Major or Lt. Col.

Hunt

stealthytyler

That would explain the hole on the front of helmet and what looks to be burnt around it. Some kind of officers insignia, maybe a Major or Lt. Col.

Hunt

Good eye. You might be right

Well Casablanca is a port city, so the word after Port must be some kind of army word, Port Director, Port Command, Port Commander etc etc????

Is that word starting with the M say Maj or Major?

BILL THE PATCH

It says Eat at Ricks Cafe Americain, Casablanca.

Heres looking at you kid.

Ronnie

To funny

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

From what I can see on the pictures it looks like there is an outline of a major or lieutenant colonel insignia that was welded on or something.

I think your guy was a major.

Hunt

The serial number, if O-018403, is Charles Walker Raymond II. By 1942 he was a Lt Col.

http://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/9096/

Rob

Welp there's that Casablanca connection, he may have been temporally detailed to this Moroccan port during the summer of 1943?, as the 34th Div did not go into Sicily, but stayed in North Africa.

Welp there's that Casablanca connection, he may have been temporally detailed to this Moroccan port during the summer of 1943?, as the 34th Div did not go into Sicily, but stayed in North Africa.

Agreed and my first thought was 34th then seeing his bio posted Im sure he had a 34th insignia on the front with rank in center.

So he was a Lt. Col! Nice call on the 34th doyler. Nice to see this helmet come out to be something really cool, definitely a keeper!

Hunt

Still looking to get rid of it now? haha I wonder what the circumstance was of it being removed?

Maybe buy the family to keep the insignia and sell the rest of the helmet? It also could have been removed with thoughts of being reissued but when the army found the hole they gave it to a surplus store or something. This helmet turned out to be really nice. The OP is really lucky they didn't sell it.

Hunt

Captainofthe7th

Having it in hand you will have to decide if the ID matches to what's written.

There could be another digit after the 3, the 8 could be a 9, 3, or a 2...and it's so hard to tell what's written above. One letter or number difference could totally bust the potential ID! I've had items for years only to examine them later and realize I was looking at it the wrong way. Sometimes we see what we want to, not what's actually there.

With those words of caution, I do think Col. Raymond is a proper match.

Rob