FSSF Beret. One of the rarest pieces of WW2 head gear.

Eric Queen

Thanks for posting those Grant. Incredibly rare pieces in any condition. I used to own the Mann beret also but always had my eye on the Furman piece which I liked better. Simply personal preference but I just liked the look of the machine sewn red swatch vs the hand sewn. So happy that Gerry was able to return the British arrows to it before I bought it.

Here it is today :D

IMG_0193.JPG

The beret (without red swatch) being worn with US jump wings. I would definitely say there is a connection between these berets and US history.

a201317-v6.jpg

In the movie "Devil's Brigade" the (fantasy) berets (with black swatch) were worn upon graduation which of course is not historically factual.

post-3953-0-11624600-1512749812.jpg

In the movie "Devil's Brigade" the (fantasy) berets (with black swatch) were worn upon graduation which of course is not historically factual.

Great thread on some very rare and interesting pieces! .....and I think this photo (even though historically incorrect) is reversed, the slant to the beret is wrong, it should sit sloped over the right ear not the left, and the jump wings and three colour lanyard are on the wrong side of the battle dress ?

Thanks for sharing these amazing berets!

Rick

Good call Rick. I was in such a hurry this morning I didn't notice it. I have now replaced it with a "flipped" version.

I am currently the temporary caretaker of a significant grouping of Force material that belonged to Mr. Furman to include a wide range of insignia, bring backs,a period photo of him after completing his jump, and other items to include his cut-down blade (with his explanation) V-42 with scabbard.. I also have a maroon British made beret, but with black backing, so I must conclude it is identical to the type shown in the movie photo. The air vets are red rather than black. Jack Angolia

Eric, I was viewing the wartime photo you provided and the FSSF veteran in the middle, can you make out what is attached to the crossed arrows?

Eric,

As you well know, all British maroon berets from WWII are very difficult to find and command a very hefty price tag. This piece of British headgear is no exception. I'm sure that you know that Jack Furman was a Canadian and that the Canadians were carved out of the Force and sent back to England when the Force was disbanded. There are a couple of points that should be noted. These berets were issued to the Canadians AFTER they left the force and were not worn while they were assigned to the FSSF. You will not find these in the hands of Americans that served in the Force as they were not issued to Forcemen.

Your photo of Stan Waters show Waters wearing a British BD, and while the caption states that the beret was khaki, I would assume that the one being worn in the photo is another one of these maroon berets.

A great pick up and a rare piece of Canadian military history,

Allan

Hello, I totally agree that this is a Canadian only item and post FSSF. the Aldershot camp was a Canadian only camp and one can notice that they are not wearing any spearhead patches on the January 1945 pictures since the SSF had already been disbanded. It's a nice and rare item but couldn't be qualified as FSSF since it wasn't worn during the Force's active duty.

After the Force was disbanded, most of the Americans were sent to the 474th and most of the Canadians were sent as replacements for the 1st Canadian Parachute Bn: that's when the berets appeared among the Canadians.The interesting question would be to know if they wore the berets during the short period prior to their official integration in the Parachute Bn or after, while serving in that unit, as a veteran tradition/prestige insignia as a reminder for their service in the FSSF.