Collins & Co. Spanish American War Sword?

Started by sundance , Nov 30 2017 06:01 PM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sundance

sundance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 67,879
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

I know I'm breaking a cardinal rule by asking a question  without posting a photo but...... I've been offered a short bladed ( 28 inches ) sword with a large eagle head pommel and what appears to be a dark bone handle punctuated by 3 rivets. The blade is marked "Collins & Co., LEGITIMUS, Hartford, Agero Fino, Calidad, Garantizada and #86". it has an "s" shaped crossguard with raised leaves running end to end on both sides. It comes with a leather scabbard tooled along its entire length also marked " Collins & Co. LEGITIMUS and "16". The blade is heavy, about 1 1/4 inch wide along its entire length and ends in a spear point. I see similar ones described as Spanish American war swords. The blade seems more suited to hacking through brush than being used as a weapon but could certainly be effectively used as one. Would this be of Spanish American War vintage? I see there is a book about Collins edged weapons which I'll try to find. Also, I'll try to get some photos up. Thanks.

#2 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 30,309 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

it sounds like one of the Collins contracted for a Foreign Army I believe they are attributed to Spain/Cuba from the Span Am War era.

machete.jpg

machete3.jpg

machete2.jpg

#3 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 30,309 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

Collins history.

https://connecticuth...pany-of-canton/

#4 sundance

sundance
  • Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

It looks very much like the one in the first photo. Thanks. The only difference I see is that it has a smooth grip. The grip in your first photo looks textured.

#5 sundance

sundance
  • Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

The way the sword is marked certainly leads one to believe it was produced for another country.  It certainly wouldn't have been built for an adversary though, right? I guess the connection to the Spanish American War confuses me (or was it just a connection to the Spanish American war era?)

#6 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 30,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

The sword is a variation of a machete as I understand it.

This is taken from the article I posted which stated in 1840 after restructuring of the company they expand with machete sales

"the company expanded abroad with the machete; it sold more than 150 varieties of machetes in 35 countries, supplying 80% of the worlds machetes at that time."

This is no different than the US buying swords or handle material From Germany prior to WW1 and WW2. The green horn handles on various patterns of Collins knives and Machetes was sourced from Germany as it was a better grade or quality horn suitable for handles I have read.This importation stopped when war broke out in Europe.

#7 SKIPH

SKIPH

FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 7,773
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

FWIW- I had a conversation w/ a guy who grew up near the old Collins Factory in Connecticut. He stated they used to wade in the
waterfalls below the factory as a kid, and find discarded axe heads, and other implements from the factory. SKIP

#8 sundance

sundance
  • Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

Doyler and Skiph - thanks for the information.

#9 Horseclover

Horseclover
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55,097
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:48 AM

There is a very good but a bit dated article on cutacha

http://therionarms.c...ticles/cutacha/

Prime examples of the Collins eagles are getting few and far between.

Collins did a number of beasts as motif.  There is a page out there somewhere with a list of them.  IIRC, the wolf version was the first animal.  The cutacha though were often Solingen manufacture.  These eagles were all originally meant for Cuban officers.

Cheers

GC

#10 sundance

sundance
  • Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Horseclover - thanks for the article. Little by little I'm getting to know this sword/machete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)