Some very hard to find Camillus MIL-K-818's on the Bay

sactroop

Someone appears to be liquidating a collection of various MIL-K-818 knives on Ebay. If someone out there just has to get their hands on a 1949 and/or a 1962 Camillus, heres your chance. Also a wide variety of other years and some different makers. Warning the bidding is already serious on those two rare examples.

With a little over a day left, someone might want to look at the other offerings. The 1949 and 1962 might take all the glory, but there appear to be some good deals in the other knives. Just go to the link in Post #4 and click on "See other items."

$1351.07!!!!!!!!!!! for the 1949!

Marv

Plus $4.00 shipping. I wonder if that includes the insurance?

The 1962 went for $342.77 (again plus $4 shipping), and three days ago a 1957 sold for $143.50 (+$4) (all sold by the same seller). The 1962 and the 1957 were apparently bought by the same person; he bid $600 for the 1949 but was out bid by several people.

Anyone here bid on these rare knives?

Those knives had gone above my comfort zone awhile before the auctions ended. However I'm waiting on a Camillus 1983 (C5) made for the Canadian military, that I ran across while looking through the offerings presently on the bay.

A little taken aback on the size of the winning bid for even a 1949 Camillus.

I saw that C5, unique w/o the U.S. but wasnt in the best condition and a little pricey for me. Definitely a cool factor. They replaced that with the Gerber MP600.

Those knives had gone above my comfort zone awhile before the auctions ended. However I'm waiting on a Camillus 1983 (C5) made for the Canadian military, that I ran across while looking through the offerings presently on the bay.

A little taken aback on the size of the winning bid for even a 1949 Camillus.

It seems high to me; I was expecting somewhere between $600 to $800 but when you get two people that have to have it . . .

The 1962 seems about right, and the 1957 seemed a little low.

There were three people in this one that placed bids at or above $1200. The price climbed about $700 during the last minute of bidding. I wonder if this will bring more out of the woodwork?

In the sense that there will be people who are willing to pay a little more for what amounts to the same item but has a date on it during the Vietnam War, yes they are collectable. However it's been my experience that the premium for most Vietnam era MIL-K-818's has only been a few dollars. This is a situation where places like Ebay can be your friend. Do some searches on open auctions and compare the average selling price for 1960, 1961, 1963, etc, Camillus 818's and the winning bid of $342.77+$4 shipping for the recent auction on the 1962 Camillus 818. This is a case where the value is more a function of it's comparative rarity and it's reputation than its relative association with a time in history.

I didn't even know what these knives were till I read this thread, then I went to a Gun/Militaria show today and saw these in a guys case. We struck up a conversation after I asked to look at one (1967 still with cosmoline on it for $75) and I mentioned the one on ebay - turns out his buddy is the one who bought it and both he and his buddy feel he got a steal! Just thought you guys might be interested......

Art

post-168413-0-48351900-1512246347_thumb.jpg

I didn't even know what these knives were till I read this thread, then I went to a Gun/Militaria show today and saw these in a guys case. We struck up a conversation after I asked to look at one (1967 still with cosmoline on it for $75) and I mentioned the one on ebay - turns out his buddy is the one who bought it and both he and his buddy feel he got a steal! Just thought you guys might be interested......

Art

Which one did he buy? The 1949, the 1962, or the 1957?

Which one did he buy? The 1949, the 1962, or the 1957?

You know, I don't even know enough about these things to know which year it was, but he said it was the "super-rare" big money one. According to what he told me today, less than 50 were made, the best estimation being between 25 and 35.

Art

Art,

If it's the 1949 Camillus, I'd like to know where he got that estimate.

As best I can find out, there are less than 10 that have been identified. Two of the forum members have one, Frank Trzaska has one, and three have been sold on ebay in the past 12-15 years (counting the latest one). According to Tom Williams who had the original specs, worked at Camillus, and obtained many manufacturing records when Camillus closed in 2006, he has seen only two-three in the past 30 years. Although some of these may be the same, it still appears no more than 10 are floating around.

It would be useful to see how the estimate of 25 to 35 being manufactured was reached.

Art,

If it's the 1949 Camillus, I'd like to know where he got that estimate.

As best I can find out, there are less than 10 that have been identified. Two of the forum members have one, Frank Trzaska has one, and three have been sold on ebay in the past 12-15 years (counting the latest one). According to Tom Williams who had the original specs, worked at Camillus, and obtained many manufacturing records when Camillus closed in 2006, he has seen only two-three in the past 30 years. Although some of these may be the same, it still appears no more than 10 are floating around.

It would be useful to see how the estimate of 25 to 35 being manufactured was reached.

I have no idea where he got that estimate, I don't know the dealer, it was small talk at a gun show.

I'm new at collecting knives and the only ones I collect are MK2s but I read most everything that's posted on here and I read this string. Then I saw his case full of these knives and asked if he'd mind if I took a pic of them with the thought you guys might like to see his display. When I asked to see one he mistook my interest as a possible sale and tried to sell me a '67 so I told him the truth, I was only curious because one went for 13 hundred on ebay. Then he told me the story I related in my earlier post.

I wish I had more info to give you. If I see him at the next show in Feb I'll ask him if he has any more info and be glad to pass it on you :)

Art

Art,

Thanks for replying. I don't know that there are any paper work on how many of the 1949 knives were made, so I'm always interested in any additional information.

t6

• 1 month later...