World War II China War Commemorative Medal

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

This is a 1/2 inch ribbon bar that came off of an Ensign's uniform. Can you identify the ribbon next to the WWII Victory Ribbon?

It is Yellow with a broad Red & Black stripe.

The other 1/2 inch ribbons on this rack (covered in plastic) are the American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, & Philippine Liberation ribbons.

What is the other one?

002.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

The ribbon is actually white wth a red and black stripe. It is the unoffical "China Liberation" ribbon.

The World War II China War Commemorative Medal

The medal was issued by the Republic of China to any American or other member of the Allied Forces who served in the China Theater for at least 30 days between September 1939 and September 1948. The China Theater was defined as mainland China, Formosa, any part of the CBI Theater, and the waters of the Yellow Sea, or East and South China Sea. Also included is service in the Philippines, and participation in the Okinawa operation. The medal is no longer issued by the Republic of China.

Salvage Sailor

Thanks Mark,

Very interesting information. The white on this ribbon must have 'yellowed'. So this is a foreign award then & not a US award? I've never come across one before I picked up this Ensign's uniform. I googled your information and this is not the modern China 'commemorative' award on most websites as this is an original WWII period ribbon. The only reference I found for the China Liberation ribbon was a brief answer on the OMSA board.

Do you have a more specific reference to this ribbon and it's origin? The uniform it's on is named but I haven't researched it yet. I'm wondering how my Ensign got this ribbon.

Salvage Sailor

Very nice naval gray uniform! Most of the uniforms I have seen this ribbon on were either US Navy or Marine uniforms for personnel doing occupation duty in China directly after the war. The medal was never recognized by the US government due to the communist takeover in 1948. I honestly can not remember where I found the details of that medal at this point as it has been some time since it last came up - sorry. Still is a great uniform though!

Regards,

Mark

• 9 months later...

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

• 4 years later...

Salvage Sailor

Very nice naval gray uniform! Most of the uniforms I have seen this ribbon on were either US Navy or Marine uniforms for personnel doing occupation duty in China directly after the war.

Photograph of Army Col. William Maine Hutson wearing the China Liberation Ribbon with what looks to me like two devices.

post-1761-0-45097000-1386357721.jpg