#301 carjon

carjon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,046
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Avaition15_lg.jpg

Wow...   very very nice picture!

Thanks, This was 1927.... here is an attempt at a larger size....  

Avaition15_lg.jpg

#302 carjon

carjon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,046
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Sorry didn't mean to put it in twice....  Not sure how to edit it once posted....  My apologies to the thread...   :/

#303 gfryman

gfryman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 159,860
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

I have spent the last 2+ hours devouring every word in this topic and can not express enough gratitude for all of the information shared. Tremendous amount of knowledge and data here. Thanks to all who shared.

#304 JPW

JPW
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 168,777
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

Wonderful photo of 1/Lt Joseph Dodge Park who earned his Military Aviator (MA) rating on May 7, 1913.  Picture taken at the Signal Corps Aviation School at North Island, San Diego, CA.  He was killed in an air accident two days later on May 9, 1913.  Park Field, Millington, Tennessee, was named in his memory.

Cliff

Dredging up an old thread....

Was cruising around the Interwebs on Memorial Day weekend and came across this thread.

Thanks for this photo. Joseph Park is my great-grandfather and namesake (see the JP in JPW). He has a burial marker in NH. I recall meeting his sister Ruth as a very young child.

I don't have the electronic version, but there is a rather descriptive account of his final flight in his obit from the NYTimes in May 1913. From what I can remember from the obit -he got disoriented in the fog, landed next to an olive grove, saw a young girl and asked her to have her parents communicate with the field, took off again, and then was later found to have crashed into a hill.

Unfortunately, there is not much more family info to share other than the (apocryphal?) story that his son was an aviator in WW2 and died in a crash following discharge. My mom (born 1938) was adopted by Joseph Park's son as an infant and then was given her step-father's last name following her mother's remarriage.

Cheers and thanks again for the photo!

#305 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96,854
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

I believe this photo includes a young Hap Arnold as well.  He looks a great deal like the man shown earlier identified as a young Hap Arnold.  I have no idea who else is in the photo or where it was taken.  It is in an album from another WWI pilot I just picked up.

Attached Images

• 057-02 resized.JPG
  • 057-02 Hap Arnold.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users