Anyone ever reattached a pin to a clutchback wing? Need help!

stratasfan

I have a 1990s USAF Navigator wing, and one of the pins fell off when I was removing the clutchback. I have it for a display that I am doing about my Uncle's brother who was KIA in Vietnam, so it only needs to be able to hold onto the foam core backing. This isn't for museum perfection or anything. Has anyone ever found a way to reattach a pin? Dad tried to solder it with his plumbing solder, and that didn't work. Then he tried two-part apoxy, and that didn't hold either. So, would love to hear any ideas! I need the wing for the display, so am really trying to figure out how to fix it. Thanks for any thoughts!

I've used a slide on ribbon bar without the ribbon....the rack part.......cut a small portion off of it with the clutch back post attached,glue it to the wing and I found it worked.......................dave

I once bought a wing that had been attached to a cork board display using some epoxy glue and a couple of metal thumbtacks. The epoxy holds pretty well but doesn't damage the wing like solder would. I suspect you could get similar results with any good super/gorilla glue stuff.

Interesting idea about the thumbtack attached to the back. I could see about trying that. The epoxy didn't work on the pin alone, but maybe with the thumbtack head, it would actually hold. Was it a certain type of epoxy? I'll ask Dad what kind he tried.

I have no idea, just that it was some sort of epoxy. It wasn't a perfect solution becuase I easily took the tack off when I got the wings, but for attaching it to a display, it ought to be just fine.

Get a quote from a Jeweler. Probably someone local and not a chain store. Have it done right. Find a pin of another piece of insignia they could use if you need it. Won't hurt to get an estimate.

easterneagle87

Maybe try a little JB Weld. Most hardware stores or Walmart will have it. It's a two tube mix and it's really sticky. Once it drys it's pretty tuff.

JB Weld is a liquid steel and hardner that works well when repairing old pins. You don't need much. Apply with a toothpick. Using a thumb tack is also a good idea for restoring the studs as they are about the right size for clutches and have enough surface to adhere to the back of the badge. For display, they work fine. The only other suggestion is have a jeweler silver solder the original studs back on, but that can be tricky and may end up ruining a nice badge if he is not very careful. Best of luck.

Thank you! I asked Dad, and he says we can try the JB weld and the thumbtack. I appreciate the help! I will definitely post the results, too, once I get it done. I thought about a jeweler, but we've had stuff done at our jewelers and I would honestly be worried that something would be ruined on it. Just haven't had good success on custom things like this. So . . . I will try the JB Weld and see if it works!

I repaired a pin on the back of these wings with a product called Lazer Bond.There is a brand called Bondic as well but it costs a little more.

I found this at a local Menards.

I used the pin/tack that was broken of.

Its a liquid plastic type adhesive that does not set until you hit it with the UV light that's part of the kit.

Once set I added a little more adhesive around the base of the pin and set it with the UV light.I then dapped a bit of metallic model paint on the bonded area to blend it in with the wing.

I would place the light on it for 20-30 seconds(directions state 5 sec or less) covering all angles.It seems to be holding well.I put a bit of pressure on it with my finger and it didn't bend or come loose.

post-342-0-80426400-1511827971_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-00081200-1511827988_thumb.jpg

There are various video links too

I paid a jeweler to do the back of a rare medal for me once.

I think this thread should be pinned or

Combined if there is another one in restoration as this is something that any collector will be faced with at some point in their collecting career!

Great info! I have a few more that I need to fix so I am waiting on testimonials! Thanks Doyler for posting yours!!

I paid a jeweler to do the back of a rare medal for me once.

I think this thread should be pinned or

Combined if there is another one in restoration as this is something that any collector will be faced with at some point in their collecting career!

Great info! I have a few more that I need to fix so I am waiting on testimonials! Thanks Doyler for posting yours!!

I have a Glider Piolt wing that was missing a post.I did have a person repair it who did custom work for a Jeweler.I only see him twice a year so it took a while to get it done and cost me about $30.He did a nice job.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all! We did it! Dad actually took a small tack (as the size of a thumb tack top was too large) and used JB Weld to attach it to the place where the prong broke off, and it is super strong! I haven't put it in the display yet, as I haven't started mounting anything, but we were pushing and yanking and it looked like it was fine! So, this was definitely a good idea! No harm or disfiguration to the wing at all. So, thanks to all for suggestions, and I would recommend this to someone who want a mend for display!

Great ideas here I hadn't thought of. I used a jeweler to repair a WW2 gunner's wing and the heat discolored the wing, so wish I had asked this question beforehand!